Halloween Prop Try-Me Controller

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
This is one of my Arduino based Halloween prop controllers. Firstly, it supplies power (adjustable) to the prop so you don't need batteries. You can simply run 12V to the controller.

The board takes a PIR (or switch) trigger input. It also features a lock-out time so that the prop can't be re-triggered too soon.

It has outputs for the try-me button on the prop, as well as an aux switched output (same voltage as power input). The latter can be used to turn on separate prop illumination for the animation duration as an example.

So, the PIR triggers my board, which in turn pulses the try-me button input on the prop. At the same time the aux output activates to turn on the scene lighting. The controller doesn't know when the prop is finished, so you have to set the time in the Arduino program.

In this video I'd already removed the original controller from the prop for experimenting so it didn't have the jaw or LED eyes connected.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK6iCh4b8Do

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Nice!! I will no doubt want a couple of these too :)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I'm playing some more with the code as I have a newer version of the board than shown in the video.

When the trigger is activated, there's now an optional delay before the action starts. This may be handy for when the sensor is before the actual prop.

I'm also making the action time (when the aux output is on) adjustable via a trim pot so end users can tune it to their own prop.

Stay tuned...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I now have it so you can set the action time and lockout times (~2 to 22 secs range) via trim pots.

You can also now select (via a jumper) whether the aux output should fade in/out (over 1.7 secs) or just snap on and off.

The action delay (from PIR sense to action start) is fixed at 2 seconds when selected (via another jumper).

Any comments or question on features so far?

Keep in mind this is a simple low cost board. I will have other ones later that are more configurable for more $$.