Hanson Electronics Power Supplies

John B

if you do something, do it well
Hi All,
Just looking for some feedback on the power supplies offered by Hanson Electronics.

I've got a quote on Mean Well power supplies which are just shy of AU$200, but worried about the quality of $55 units. But at a cost ratio of 4:1, it's a consideration I'm looking into.

Otherwise, if anyone (Australian based) has any suggestions of products/suppliers (still including Mean Well products), I'm open to alternatives.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Not sure which Mean Well you have been quoted but @David_AVD sells some models on his site locally: https://www.da-share.com/product-category/power-supplies/ under $100.
You'd have to check with Alan but I believe his are from Chinese vendors originally which as a general rule we tend to only load up to 80-85% maximum of its capable loads. That said my display (and many others) are full of the chinese ones and so far I've not had any issues, but as they are cheap, you can usually afford to have some spares in case you need to swap something out in December.
Meanwells are known to be safely used up to 100% load.
Another option is Arrow.com who offer free shipping to Aus from the US.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
If you want Meanwells have you looked into Arrow.com? They offer free shipping and very competitive pricing. Always running sales and specials. Save 10% on first order is running at the moment. I've never heard a complaint from anything from Hanson Electronics. Alan is awesome!

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Given an unlimited budget I'd go for Meanwell every time. Sadly in Australia there is only 1 importer as far as I know and they keep the price high. I actually looked at stocking Meanwell supplies but I don't get any better prices than Joe public so it wasn't worth me stocking them.
David's power supplies are the 200W Meanwell range so they still come in around the $200 mark for 400W. In general the Meanwell supplies are 300-320W depending on the voltage.
I have used the same range of power supplies on my own display for 8 years now with about 18 mostly 400W supplies in use. 2 of these get pushed right to the top end of their rating at 56A total load from 60A worth of power supply. I've never had a failure and the only power supply that's ever came back to me had been crushed by Australia Post.

HattyCurll

New elf
Hi....I bought my Addtronics 6896A from him. Since then, Addtronics has even revised that case and made a new version, but still no site. Not to bash him or anything, I'm sure creating a good website is no easy job, and he's still the man to buy cases from.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Hi....I bought my Addtronics 6896A from him. Since then, Addtronics has even revised that case and made a new version, but still no site. Not to bash him or anything, I'm sure creating a good website is no easy job, and he's still the man to buy cases from.
I don't sell computer cases. It may be another unaffiliated Hanson Electronics in the US, Probably https://www.facebook.com/hansonelectronics.net/
<confused>