Has anyone created a mega tree that just used a single Raspberry Pi + Falcon-PiCap before as it's pixel controller?

Permapower

New elf
Hi there,

Has anyone created a mega tree that just used a single Raspberry Pi + Falcon-PiCap before as it's pixel controller?

I was thinking of using a Falcon PiCap and it states on its website that it can control two strings 800+ WS2811 pixels with fused and buffered outputs.

I found this Mega Tree Calculator and I am able to produce a 400cm high tree. I am aware that I will need to do power injection etc. however, I just wanted to know if my idea is at all possible or not.

Also, any ideas/feedback for this newby is most welcome.

Thank you

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
No, but no reason why you couldn't do it that I can think of.
2 x 800 =1600 pixels
That makes for a good size tree. With that many pixels I'd do 2 inch spacing with minimum of 16 strings. Obviously more strings if you are doing a 270 or 360 degree tree.

Only possible issue with the falcon Picap is shipping to Aus. @darylc might have some, he does bulk imports of falcon boards to Aus. Another alternative might be the Hanson Picap but not sure how many 2811 pixels it will drive @AAH will know

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
My rPi-28D and rPi-28D+ do the same number of pixels as the PiCap if you exclude the 2801 output that I have. The 2811 output is 1000ish channels. The number isn't specific as you can actually control more if you want to sacrifice FPS. My mega tree which is a 16 string x 75 pixel tree which runs off rPi-28D. Last year it was a 12x75 and ran off only 1 output. The need to add extra fusing for my tree is the reason I started making my Power8 as it has the fusing capacity to do around 1000 pixels at full brightness on the 1 board.

Permapower

New elf
Thank you very much for such great feedback. The support on this website is great. :thumbsup:;)

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.