HE123 - FPP5.5 - adding TX and RX

JordoLights

New elf
Hi all, can someone please help:

In 2022, I was running a HE123 with BBB with FPP5.5. Only utilising the 16 ports. Xlights version was one of the 2022.x

This setup worked fine last year. Visualise output and upload to controller worked in Xlights.

This year, I added a HE123-TX and 2x HE123-RXs. Still running FPP5.5. But I upgraded Xlights version to one of the latest 2023.x releases.

I also setup the output settings in FPP to add the TX and RXs

When I try to visualise and upload in xlights, it errors out saying FPP upload failed or something.

What is incorrect? Is it the newer XLights version not supporting FPP5.5? Do I need to upgrade FPP to 6.x?

Thanks in advance

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
I have seen on the forums that there are FPP connect issues in the xLights and FPP software and getting versions that work with both can be a little trying. Since many knowledgeable people hang out in the xLights zoom room, this is one occasion I would stop in for a visit and see if someone knows which version is which. FPP7 and 2023 xlights will have the most recent fixes and patches for the issues.

Also, if you go to FPP6 or beyond, you might need a license to get full use of your HE123.

I am of the opinion that keeping software up to date is a good policy. However, that old adage about not fixing that which is not broken might be at work here. So I am curious, was there a need to upgrade xLights or just thought a good idea?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
In xLights, how are you configuring the board?
As a Hanson HE123 or as an RGBCape48f?
Did you flash the EEPROM firmware onto the HE123 at all?

JordoLights

New elf
Thanks for your input guys. I ended up updating the HE123 FPP to 6.3. I used your EEPROM generator @Skymaster, thank you very much for that tool. Configured the controller settings to use Hanson Electronics HE123. Then updated XLights to the newest version - 2023.13, and all seems to be working again now. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: AAH

JordoLights

New elf
One thing I noticed though, the OLED on the HE123 seems to to sleep after a few mins.. I need to press one of the buttons on the controller to wake it up. Everything else seems to be fine. Is this normal? Is there a way to set it to always be awake?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Thanks for your input guys. I ended up updating the HE123 FPP to 6.3. I used your EEPROM generator @Skymaster, thank you very much for that tool. Configured the controller settings to use Hanson Electronics HE123. Then updated XLights to the newest version - 2023.13, and all seems to be working again now. Fingers crossed.
Fantastic stuff. Glad to hear it's up and running. The questions were kinda leading to getting this done. That said, with older xLights and FPP 5.5, using RGBCape48f, spinning up outputs 17-48 should just work, there's nothing special you need to do to get it working with the TX/RX differential outputs, FPP doesn't know they are there.

One thing I noticed though, the OLED on the HE123 seems to to sleep after a few mins.. I need to press one of the buttons on the controller to wake it up. Everything else seems to be fine. Is this normal? Is there a way to set it to always be awake?
I believe this is normal for FPP controllers. I dont use the OLED too much that it worries me. I can't see any quick and easy way to change it in the settings, but if I dig anything up I'll report back.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm late to the party. Skymaster has you sorted.
Working combinations of FPP and Xlights that work together is becoming a pain.
The Oled display turns off to prevent the display being "burned".