Hello... again

Imstevil

New elf
Joined
Feb 16, 2022
Messages
12
Hi,

I'm not exactly "new" here. I was actually here about 5 or so years ago and managed, I think, one welcome post before disappearing! My situation has changed a bit since then, and I've finally got some time and money to get a bit further into things. I thought I'd come back, post what I'm planning, and make sure I'm on the right track before I get too far into it... although it might already be a bit late for that! 😅

I'm based on the Central Coast and looking at putting together a display this year using WS2811 bullets / strips. I'm thinking of running multiple ESP32s with WLED installed. I'll probably have around 10 - 15 ESP32s, most running somewhere around 200–300 LEDs each.

From what I've read online, this should be doable, but I'd be keen to hear from people who've run a similar setup. I've seen figures suggesting you can run around 15,000 LEDs wirelessly at 40 FPS, or 30,000 at 20 FPS, but I'd love to hear how that works in practice.

I've got multiple 12V power supplies that I can distribute around the display to power the lights. I'm planning to use LM2596S buck converters to step the voltage down to power the ESP32s.

For the wiring, I'm thinking of putting a spacer between the buck converters and the ESP32 boards, then soldering wires directly between them for power. For the data connection to the lights, I was thinking of stripping one end of a jumper wire and soldering it directly to the ESP32.

I'm still trying to figure out suitable enclosures. I've found some clear plastic soup containers that seem reasonably waterproof. My current plan is to drill a hole for a cable gland to keep the cable entry sealed and throw in a few silica gel packets to help manage moisture. It feels a little hacky, but I haven't found anything suitable at a reasonable price yet!

As for the display itself, I'm thinking of following the edges of the house, putting some peace stakes through the garden, running arches across the front, framing the windows, doors and stairs, and adding a matrix to the front wall. You can ignore the tree on the right-hand side. There's absolutely no way I'll be ready to tackle that this year! Maybe next year if everything goes well. The rest of the props are made up and ready to go, though!

As I mentioned at the start, while I've technically been around here for a few years, I'm still pretty new to all this. I think I'm at the most dangerous stage of the learning process: I don't know much, but I know just enough to be dangerous!

So, if anyone has any advice on what I'm doing wrong, where I could improve, or anything else I should be considering, I'd really appreciate it. I'm keen to learn from people who've been doing this for a while before I get too far into things and make a mess of things.

Thanks!



1791322414188.png
 
That all seems pretty viable. Probably the only thing to really be cautious about is the 3.3V output logic from the ESP. That is just high enough to run directly into a pixel but any distance between the ESP and the first pixel and you'll likely have data corruption or potentially no data at all. A level shifter or nulls is probably a far more reliable way to get data to your pixels. I have a few buffer options that could save you some issues.
 
That all seems pretty viable. Probably the only thing to really be cautious about is the 3.3V output logic from the ESP. That is just high enough to run directly into a pixel but any distance between the ESP and the first pixel and you'll likely have data corruption or potentially no data at all. A level shifter or nulls is probably a far more reliable way to get data to your pixels. I have a few buffer options that could save you some issues.
Thanks for the tip! The way I'm working it at the moment the lights are feeding directly into my enclorsures with the esp32. The run would be about 20cm - 30cm each so not to much of an issue.

Using a level shifter might work well for some of the ones on the roof though, I was going to mount the enclosure on the framing but that worried me about being in direct sunlight, I could drop it down and mount it behind the way this way. It could help me cut down on controllers then as well, some are only about 3m apart. AI says it can handle about 5-10m with a level shifter... not sure I'd trust that, but can test / play with it and see how we go.

Thanks again for the advice, I think it'll make some parts a bit easier to manage!
 
I use these for containers, get a step drill bit and don't put too much pressure and then screw on the glands.
Are you drilling any extra holes for ventilation? I am a bit worried about how my setup would work in 40 degree heat. I'm possibly just being paranoid though!
 
That all seems pretty viable. Probably the only thing to really be cautious about is the 3.3V output logic from the ESP. That is just high enough to run directly into a pixel but any distance between the ESP and the first pixel and you'll likely have data corruption or potentially no data at all. A level shifter or nulls is probably a far more reliable way to get data to your pixels. I have a few buffer options that could save you some issues.
Does your null pixel buffer help boost it to 5v or just act as a repeater? Happy to buy off yourself as a thanks for helping if it's going to work!

 
Back
Top