Hello All from Virginia USA.

chilinsr

New elf
My wife is a big Christmas person who loves to decorate. She does some awesome interior work and I am always on the look out for unique way to contribute to her setups. In searching I ran into some of the lighting show videos and was amazed. I live out in the country and its mostly farmland so my efforts will not likely get the crowd draw that some of you do. Although, I am content with sharing with my wife and family. I am looking to start out simple. I am not sure if that exists and then grow based on my abilities to be successful. I have an IT background but not very musical oriented, so I think grasping the sequencing will take some practice. I have enjoyed watching the videos on utube and hope I can create some of the same excitement and bring smiles happiness to others as you all have done for me and my wife in just the short time re reviewed the great shows you have all created.

Thanks.
Ron.

bpratt

Senior elf
Start off with the lights and props you can afford this year, and just do plain sequences, not music one.

As time goes on (or if you get really keen this year), you can start doing musical sequences and add more props and pixels.

See if you've got someone within say and hours drive from you, and I'm sure you could visit to pick up ideas and extra help in person, but we're all here to help were we can.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Hello Ron @chilinsr and Welcome to ACL!

As per my new member message:
Read up on the ACL 101 manual. https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/auschristmaslighting-101-manual.1889/.

- As I saw a comment on a newbie's Facebook post:
"Hope your single, rich, and have a full liquor cabinet."

Read up, study, study, plan and repeat. Make sure you know what you're wanting before you spend money!
I would diffidently look around before buying kits, much cheaper and more suited when custom made. And it's part of the fun making your own!
---------------

I first stated for the joy of putting on a show. It grew to sharing with my family, wider family, neighbours and friend groups.
I wish that I could have a crowd but I at least have those I most care about enjoying it :).

As mentioned; start off simple. I literally started with two strands of lights and worked my way up.
Then xLights shared sequences Google drive is very helpful for saving time and for inspiration.

Welcome to ACL,
Enjoy the community.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Hi Chillinsr:

Welcome to ACL. As others have mentioned, I too would suggest beginning small. ACL's Wiki, Forums, Media, and Display Videos are all sections for ideas and problem solutions. ACL's Chat Room is also a place to solicit opinions and/or ask questions although the Chat Room is more active during the Australian daylight hours.
I would not be too concerned regarding your location. Closest town for me is 5 mile so anything I do is family, friends, and neighbors. Cheers.