Hello all

Grant Astley

New elf
Hi Everyone
I have been doing Christmas light displays for a few years now however I plan on stepping it up this year (if I have not left it too late that is). In the past I have just done the normal Christmas light display with store bought strings, etc However this year I want to move into digital pixels starting with a 180 degree 6ft mega, or not so mega, tree with 8 strands of 25 pixels, 200 in total with plans on adding to it bit by bit each year.
I have everything so far except a controller. I am using a raspberry pi running fpp and will be using xlights to program the show. I was looking at the F4V3 pixel controller or the San devices E682 controller. I dont know if I can get the F4V3 in Australia? and have heard that DarrylC is the person to contact however I cannot figure out how to private message him any help here would be appreciated.
I look forward to engaging in what looks to be an active forum :)

Cheers
Grant

darylc

404 darylc not found
Have sent you a private msg Grant. I've never brought any F4v3's into Australia though so if you are looking for something smaller than a F16v3, the Advatek Pixlite 4 might be a local option for you.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
You may want to update your profile with a location and seek out someone local who knows this stuff well. It is really helpful to see stuff first hand.

Also consider joining us on zoom Friday night.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Grant, welcome to ACL!
Sounds like you already have a head start and know what you want - hopefully you still have time to buy it and connect up and build what ever elements and cables required to get it running for Dec 1st!
Feel free to jump into Chat during the day or as Keith suggested Zoom session on friday evenings.

Grant Astley

New elf
Hi djgra79 and keithsw1111

Not too worried about getting it all wired up the box should be coming next week and I will be putting a heap of 4 pin gx12 connectors in it. Then I plan on running 1 4 core cable to each end of the light string, although only 3 are needed this will let me run the data line back in the same cable if required and then loop out into another string. Wiring is the easy part (sparkie by trade :) ) More concerned about getting the software side of it going. However I am making a start on that the pi is loaded with fpp and network settings are correct. I am just starting to play with xlights now and ordered a F16v3 through Daryl last night too :)
So might be tight but fx I will get there. Oh did I mention we are going on holidays for 3 weeks in November too! eeek.

Yes I will join in the chat room, probably wont get a chance on a Friday though as I work away and return home on Fridays so that is family time once home.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Have you chosen a software to sequence with yet? Most prefer xlights as it is very powerful and free!
The added benefit is Keith is one of the developers, so if you do get a chance to drop in on friday evenings, you can always ask how to do something directly (although the xlights.org website has HEAPS of videos and tutorials already!)

Grant Astley

New elf
Yes I am using xLights I have set up the E1.31 controller (will just have to change the IP address once the board arrives) and set up the mega tree and am currently playing around with effects and sequencing, etc. I also downloaded Vixen a couple of years ago and have had a bit of a play with that however funds got eaten up by other projects so the lights had to wait until now. So far I think I prefer xLights and the support for it as you say is very good with lots of info out there on it.