Hello from a Newbie!

daviddddavidd

New elf
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and excited to be here!! I have always loved Christmas lights and recently decided to dive into the world of Christmas lighting displays. I have been exploring different techniques and ideas; and I am really looking forward to learning from all of you.

I am interested in tips on setting up displays,, the best types of lights to use; and any advice on software for creating light shows:. If you have any beginner--friendly advice or resources, I would greatly appreciate it...!

Looking forward to getting to know the community and sharing ideas.

Thanks for having me.....! 🙏

Best,
David

Welcome David :) Let us know which city/state you are in so people nearby can say hi.

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and excited to be here!! I have always loved Christmas lights and recently decided to dive into the world of Christmas lighting displays. I have been exploring different techniques and ideas; and I am really looking forward to learning from all of you.

I am interested in tips on setting up displays,, the best types of lights to use; and any advice on software for creating light shows:. If you have any beginner--friendly advice or resources, I would greatly appreciate it...!

Looking forward to getting to know the community and sharing ideas.

Thanks for having me.....! 🙏

Best,
David
Have you read the 101 Manual on this site? I can't figure out how to link it but it has
answers to most of the questions you've raised

Welcome to ACL David. The 101 manual is a good overview of the hobby but also covers quite a lot, grab a drink of choice and have a read through:

Lots of resources within the forum to search for, or jump into Chat and say gday, usually always someone about who can assist or point you in the right direction

Start with what you think you want to accomplish. Take a picture of your house. Print out a dozen copies and explore various "that would be cool" scenarios using crayons, colored pencils, markers, etc.

Once you have an idea of what you want to do, figure out how it costs in direct costs and add 1.5 times (2.5 times the cost of the lights and controllers and power supplies). That is your budget. Can you afford it? If not, dial back the plan to the coolest thing you can afford. In the meantime, post your pictures and get some suggestions for what you might do. Most important thing, decide quickly as the build and learn process takes a bit of time.

It looks like you are from India. What kind of light shows do people do there? Would you be unique in your part of the world?

Back