Hello from Alberta Canada

TerryK

Retired Elf
From the test report, a US FCC radiation emission test from the appearance, probably to get a UL and possibly CSA approval. The remote operates at 433 MHz give or take. 120 VAC primary with that going out in 2 of the 5 wires. A third wire seems to be rectified AC going out (+ out or - out?) also something across the rectified +/- but hard to determine what. A 4th wire has a pretty heavy PC trace so must be a fairly high current.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I doubt it's worth the trouble of trying to convert them.

The MFC will have a rectifier inside so either the LOR controller or the lights may be unhappy with that.

TerryK

Retired Elf
I am going to suggest what David indicated, trying to convert these is probably going to require more effort than what they are worth. As the existing sets fail, I would suggest slowly moving towards newer technology.

Ilovelights

New elf
Do you have the info on any of the other styles that you have? It's possible that some of your other lights could be suitable.
Upon further inspection of the other 4 styles of lights I have, I think all of them seem to kind of the same type of animals LOL.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/il...ntrolled-c12-faceted-string-lights/1001134175 (picture-set2web) I have 5 sets
And 4 sets of these (picture Set3web) can't find much info except this https://fccid.io/2APPP
I guess I'll just start from scratch on this. Thank you both

Attachments

• Set2web.jpg
    Set2web.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Set3web.jpg
    Set3web.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 8

TerryK

Retired Elf
That set2web one looks like a 29 volt DC 4 wire. The other on the tag mentions a 3.3v 20 mA lamp. Both of those look possible. Could you post a few more photos please?

Ilovelights

New elf
That set2web one looks like a 29 volt DC 4 wire. The other on the tag mentions a 3.3v 20 mA lamp. Both of those look possible. Could you post a few more photos please?
Hi Terry, I' not sure what I can post for pictures that will help?

i13

Dedicated elf
The first one looks promising to me but maybe not the second one.

The first one says 29V. I suspect that it is actually a 2 wire string and not 4 wires. Two wires probably go to a plugpack and the other two go to the lights. Am I correct? Regardless, I have higher hopes for this one. Knowing this detail will help me determine the correct type of controller for it. One problem with most light sets like this is that they each have their own plugpack and they can be slightly different voltages. When you convert them to computer control, you'll be using a central power supply. The options are to modify the light sets (my preferred option) or to have multiple central power supplies to accommodate the different voltages. Once you start modifying a light set, power it exclusively with a low voltage power supply. That removes the danger in accidentally trying to modify a 120V light set. Don't plug it in like you currently do. There's no use for the original plugpack once you start modifying.

It looks like the second one is a 120V LED light set. The 3.3V LEDs would be wired in series to add up to 120V.

TerryK

Retired Elf
For anyone to have better suggestions, we'll need additional details. A bit bold of me but I would ask; how much effort/expense are you willing to invest in these strings to convert them? Referring to a couple previous thread posts, there are situations where one sometimes needs to discard items we would rather not and move forward.

Ilovelights

New elf
The first one says 29V. I suspect that it is actually a 2 wire string and not 4 wires. Two wires probably go to a plugpack and the other two go to the lights. Am I correct?
In this case there is one wire with a green stripe on it that continues from on end to the other and 3 wires go through the bulbs. The manufacturer (https://www.polygroup.com/holidaylights) states that these are not regular leds and pixels can not be replaced so I think these a a no go as well.

For anyone to have better suggestions, we'll need additional details. A bit bold of me but I would ask; how much effort/expense are you willing to invest in these strings to convert them? Referring to a couple previous thread posts, there are situations where one sometimes needs to discard items we would rather not and move forward.

If it was possible I would probably try but I also am not a big fan of wasting goods. I'm sure that I can find a use for them somewhere in my new scheme of things. Again I have really appreciated all of both of your time Thanks

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Sometimes it's better to give those lights to someone with a "regular display" and get on with using something more appropriate for yours. :)

i13

Dedicated elf
I wouldn't yet give up hope that you might be able to control the 29V set. The four wires and ability to change colour suggests to me that it might be a dumb RGB string. The video on the manufacturer's site suggests that it behaves more like pixels but I don't know whether the video includes the specific string that you have. It'll be a matter of us figuring out how it is wired and whether it includes some type of pixel technology. I usually need the following info in order to help:
  • Whether there are blinking functions or only steady on (already know this)
  • The output voltage of the plugpack including whether it is AC or DC (already know this)
  • The number of wires going from the plugpack or multifunction unit to the first LED (already know this)
  • How often the number of wires drops back to the same number that's between the multifunction unit and first LED
  • The typical number of wires soldered into one LED. There are occasional LEDs in the sets with a different number of wires but most should be the same.
  • The number of LEDs in the light set
I've listed these points assuming that it is not a pixel set. A pixel set has separate individual control of every light AND each light can change colour.

Ilovelights

New elf
I wouldn't yet give up hope that you might be able to control the 29V set. The four wires and ability to change colour suggests to me that it might be a dumb RGB string. The video on the manufacturer's site suggests that it behaves more like pixels but I don't know whether the video includes the specific string that you have. It'll be a matter of us figuring out how it is wired and whether it includes some type of pixel technology. I usually need the following info in order to help:
  • Whether there are blinking functions or only steady on (already know this)
  • The output voltage of the plugpack including whether it is AC or DC (already know this)
  • The number of wires going from the plugpack or multifunction unit to the first LED (already know this)
  • How often the number of wires drops back to the same number that's between the multifunction unit and first LED
  • The typical number of wires soldered into one LED. There are occasional LEDs in the sets with a different number of wires but most should be the same.
I've listed these points assuming that it is not a pixel set. A pixel set has separate individual control of every light AND each light can change colour.

We took down our lights yesterday so it is easier to see what is going on.

of the 4, 2 wires run right through not going to any bulb but straight to the next connector. One green striped wire that goes to the last bulb and one solid white that seems to daisy chain through the bulbs​
from the first bulb 3 - 4 - 4 -3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 4 - 4 - 3​
24 bulbs​

i13

Dedicated elf
I'm sorry but I've never seen a light set like this. We could do a video call on Zoom so that I can get a look at it but I don't have high hopes for this.

Thanks for posting that info but it unfortunately only confirmed that this isn't something that I've seen before.