Hello from Brisbane

Bigred1978

New elf
Hi and thank you for the add. 1st of January 2021 (happy new year), after pulling down this years lights yesterday I thought.... it’s never too early to plan for next year right?

I have no previous experience in the world of controllable and programmable lighting, but have a couple of kids under 6 that love Xmas lights so I thought I would start planning now to give them a surprise for next year with a music timed light display.

now onto the research stage . thank you for the 101 guide and lighting wiki Aussie Phil, it looks like a great place to start. Also I am always open to any recommendations that anyone has for good Australian distributors, lighters, programs or controllers etc as well that would assist in my plans.

thank you again.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
G'day bigred, welcome. You're off to a good early start. I'd recommend Hanson Electronics for stuff to get started with. He's a regular here on the forum.
Where about in Brisbane are you, I'm in Forest Lake.
Cheers Bazzy

Junior

Full time elf
Yep welcome. Love seeing more shows nearby. Like Bazzy said. Hanson electronics has many gadgets to get started. A few of us also buy our controllers if you talking locally from advatek in Melbourne.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Hi and welcome to ACL. Most of us have already taken our 2020 displays down now, but keep an eye out for the QLD mini meet later in the year.

Bambaz

New elf
Hi big red
Looks like we are in the same boat to start out on this lighting rabbit hole i am I. North brisbane

Bigred1978

New elf
Have you planned what you are going to have for your first display.
Already started sketching up a few ideas based on possible installation on the lines of the house and fence.
looking like arches across the sections of the fence (about 10), smart lights across the roof line, and possibly looking at a large tree on top of the carport and some form of singing something or rather (set of 4) in a couple of spots... all timed to music ...... could be a little bugfor first attempt, but at least I’ giving myself 12 months to make mistakes and learn

Bigred1978

New elf
welcome BigRed, I've still got my lights running down here in Jimboomba until Saturday week.

Which part of Brisbane are you in ?
I am on the north side, but my parents live 5 mins south of Jimboomba (Cedar Grove) so may be worth a visit.... to see them of course.

Bigred1978

New elf
G'day bigred, welcome. You're off to a good early start. I'd recommend Hanson Electronics for stuff to get started with. He's a regular here on the forum.
Where about in Brisbane are you, I'm in Forest Lake.
Cheers Bazzy
Thanks Bazzy, I’ll have a look at their site to see what’s available. Was thinking of starting with the design and sequencing software to see what it would look like , then moving to controllers etc to suit.
Are the free software options worth a look (flights/ Vixen) or is it worth biting the bullet and looking at light-o-Rama or light show pro?
Thanks

Junior

Full time elf
Most here use xlights. Free and awesome guys who keep it to be one of the best softwares around for this hobby.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks Bazzy, I’ll have a look at their site to see what’s available. Was thinking of starting with the design and sequencing software to see what it would look like , then moving to controllers etc to suit.
Are the free software options worth a look (flights/ Vixen) or is it worth biting the bullet and looking at light-o-Rama or light show pro?
Thanks
I use xlights like a lot of us do here, very well supported and the developers are regulars to this forum. I haven't used Vixen but I believe it's very good too and once again some of the developers are regular members. From what I've heard from some of the older guard don't go LOR, very expensive and quite restrictive.
For me xlights is the one, regular updates (56x this year alone, edit: sorry last year!) so it's constantly improving and getting easier and easier to setup, programme and output to your show.