Hello from California !! °o°

ORANGEDOG

MAGICAL HOLIDAY MOMENTS
Ben from Magical Holiday Moments saying Hello !!
I'm starting an interest in RGB LED lighting and figured this site is the best place for the information I am needing.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
Hi Ben and welcome.

I've just been watching your 2010 vids and am fascinated by your colour wheel. It's really impressive.
I would love to hear more detail on its construction - size, number of channels, light types and counts etc.
Great work

ORANGEDOG

MAGICAL HOLIDAY MOMENTS
aussiexmas said:
Hi Ben and welcome.

I've just been watching your 2010 vids and am fascinated by your colour wheel. It's really impressive.
I would love to hear more detail on its construction - size, number of channels, light types and counts etc.
Great work

Well considering the 'Fun Wheel' currently only has 8 slices, the effects didnt look half bad, but our plans are to upgrade to 16 slices and to convert it over to RGB 12volt LED lighting. By doing so, it will give it a smoother rotation effect and more color selection

It's twelve foot diameter was constructed with 1/2 inch PVC pipe and fittings all joined at the central point with plywood (sun beams). The design was re-engineered 4 times to be able to break down for storage, it disassembles into 4 pieces.
Four colors of light strings were attached to the spokes, half incandescents and half LEDs. Total light count 6200 !

neilric99

Full time elf
I would see going with RGB digital strip as the next progression for the funwheel

24* 6ft strips for the spokes would allow you to have unlimited colors and chasing on the spokes. the strip is in 4" sections so you would get 18 channels for chasing on. so as you are now looking at adding 432 rgb channels (1296 dmx channels) for the spokes alone you will need to think about what software you are using, and if LOR S3 is going to better support the higher channel counts.

Neil
in Irvine, So Cal

ORANGEDOG said:
aussiexmas said:
Hi Ben and welcome.

Great work

Well considering the 'Fun Wheel' currently only has 8 slices, the effects didnt look half bad, but our plans are to upgrade to 16 slices and to convert it over to RGB 12volt LED lighting. By doing so, it will give it a smoother rotation effect and more color selection

It's twelve foot diameter was constructed with 1/2 inch PVC pipe and fittings all joined at the central point with plywood (sun beams). The design was re-engineered 4 times to be able to break down for storage, it disassembles into 4 pieces.
Four colors of light strings were attached to the spokes, half incandescents and half LEDs. Total light count 6200 !

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, hope you get a lot out of these forums. if you wanting to give the fun wheel an upgrade then going to RGB pixel based lighting will give you unlimited control of what effects you could make your fun wheel do. It would look truely awsome (It looks great now) So feel free to ask questions and im sure you will get lots of help from some very talented and helpful members.

ORANGEDOG

MAGICAL HOLIDAY MOMENTS
neil said:
I would see going with RGB digital strip as the next progression for the funwheel

24* 6ft strips for the spokes would allow you to have unlimited colors and chasing on the spokes. the strip is in 4" sections so you would get 18 channels for chasing on. so as you are now looking at adding 432 rgb channels (1296 dmx channels) for the spokes alone you will need to think about what software you are using, and if LOR S3 is going to better support the higher channel counts.

Neil
in Irvine, So Cal

Neil - We have considered using the RGB Digital strip as the upgrade plan for the 'Fun Wheel' but may be out of our range budget wise. Can you tell me how much of a price differance between a standard single channel strip verses a digital pixel strip? and its comparable controller for each strip?

We are also looking into using LightShow Pro for software to better run all these extra channels.

ORANGEDOG

MAGICAL HOLIDAY MOMENTS
fasteddy said:
Welcome to ACL, hope you get a lot out of these forums. if you wanting to give the fun wheel an upgrade then going to RGB pixel based lighting will give you unlimited control of what effects you could make your fun wheel do. It would look truely awsome (It looks great now) So feel free to ask questions and im sure you will get lots of help from some very talented and helpful members.

Thanks Fasteddy and Chilloutdocdoc for the welcome.
We are hoping to expand our knowledge in the RGB field. I really like your suggestion of using RGB pixel based lighting but are kinda timid into tackling all the programming of all those extra channels. Just thinking of all the different patterns and chases and colors will be a FUN Challenge. Im sure learning more here in the forum we may find programming to be not so tough after all, WE HOPE.

neilric99

Full time elf
You would need 9.6 * 5M RGB strip for your spokes which you would cut to 6ft sections. the 6803 is around $75 per 5M, non digital is $45 /5M, LOR CCR are $250 per 5M.

you would also need controllers such as the PIXAD8 at ~$120 and this would give you full rgb control of every 4" pixel so you will be able to run some great effects mimicing the funwheel at DCA.

So around $1000 project to replace your current funwheel.

Good on you for looking at LSP for controlling this, its a big upgrade over LORS2.

ORANGEDOG said:
neil said:

Neil
in Irvine, So Cal

Neil - We have considered using the RGB Digital strip as the upgrade plan for the 'Fun Wheel' but may be out of our range budget wise. Can you tell me how much of a price differance between a standard single channel strip verses a digital pixel strip? and its comparable controller for each strip?

We are also looking into using LightShow Pro for software to better run all these extra channels.

ORANGEDOG

MAGICAL HOLIDAY MOMENTS
Neil - Would you please direct me to a web site, with a link, for the digital strip and controller? I would like to read more about this, like how many channels the controller has, etc.
Thanks.