Hello from Gordon, Canberra,

Baf05

Full time elf
Hello,
Been a big fan of Christmas lights a long time and my display is getting bigger. But very very basic, I have decided to look into some of the more advanced displays.
Not even sure I know where to start LOR look the go, but all my lights have there own controler, and our low voltage, I think thats where I need to start....
Thats said, RGB looks interesting too....
Sooooo much to learn!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL. :)

My display is full of lights that run off central DC controllers. The Big W strings (and Kmart ones too I think) are easy to remove the controller from and use this way.

There's also pixel strings and strip, but these are not quite as easy to get up and running and use a lot more channels.

Feel free to post about what you already have and we're sure to be able to help you make the best use of it.

Baf05

Full time elf
Everything I have is DC with a controller.
I have 15 strings of lights (does not sound much but I only have a small house). I have strung three white ice style strings from the house to a beam out the front, so it kind of looks like its snowing, well thats the idea, and added some colour lines too.
I also made my own Merry Christmas sign consisting of ref lights for Merry Christmas and coloured lights for the boarder.
I have read how to modify them all to loose the controller, and that looks like a job I can do.
I had already planned on getting the Big W lights in single colours, and having just watch the video on removing the ends I think I can do that too.
But when it comes to DC controllers I have not idea what to buy. I was all set to but the LOR starter kit and get that modifyed, but now I am not so sure.....

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I make the DC24 and DC48 DC controllers. These can be used with a 30V DC power supply and the Big W strings. I have two DC24 controllers in my own display as well as a couple of pixel controllers.

There's nothing wrong with LOR products, but better value (price per channel and local support) can be had elsewhere. :)

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Baf

You have lots of support all around you from very friendly and talented people.
I use LOR, that said, you should, due to cost, consider your local alternative.
DIY is as it sounds. You do it yourself. The controllers you get are built by the pros, you put controllers in protective boxes, you run and hook up wires, you add the DC power supplies, you connect the lights. But with all the help on these forums and in chat, it may not be as hard as some folks might think.
There is a learning curve but it is doable by people from many different walks of life. Prior skill not needed.

Post a photo of your display if you have time. :)

Baf05

Full time elf
Oh Dear God, help!!!

I have read, read, read, I have printed (thanks to work) out and read. The when I was confused, I read some more, but still it seems that as I sit here, I am more confused than ever...

....I am a hands on person, if I have the stuff I can usually muddle my way through, but I can even figure which why to go...

I think I understand DMX, the best as it looks like I plug a "dongle" in to my computer, buy a PC board, and a power supply, down load the software and attach my LEDs and I should have some control?...

But then I look at the E1.31 stuff, and know that this is the way to go (if I can learn some computer speak) But I get really confused...

What I would like to do, is start with led strings (as I have many, many many, LED lights), turning them off and on at my whim, I have some pretty cool ideas for effects that I think I could obtain stealing some ideas from my other hobby (photography, why oh why does one choose hobbies that are so dam expensive), and I think DMX would suit this perfectly.

But I want to future proof myself, because I know that I will move into RGB as time and finances allow...

....Could someone please, please, please, take the time to put together a list of things a first timer should buy to start a basic display.

I think I need,

Software, as can be found on this site

this PC board https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=DC48 or similar

this "Dongle" https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=USB485RJ-ISO

and this power supply, http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/350W-Dual-Output-Switching-Power-Supply-88-264VAC-input-5V-350W-output-CE-and-ROHS-approved/701799_289599937.html

I would like to go the E1.31 direction, but I can't "see" how to go that direction....

Any help, would be great appreciated, and my even result in me buying you a beverage or too, subject to travel constrains, (living in Canberra is clearly going to help)

Merry Christmas!

Brett

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Brett, you can use my DC48 controllers with a D4 (E1.31 Ethernet to DMX adapter) from J1SYS. This allows you to drive the strings you have and control it via E1.31 in LSP or LOR software.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
LEDs are controlled by .... well controllers. Now, controllers can have DMX input or E1.31 input.

When you say LEDs, you'll need to specify whether you mean strings, strips, net lights, intelligent pixels, etc.

Baf05

Full time elf
oh opps, yes of course, I mean strings of leds, as in the one from BigW.

What I want I think is a way of controlling the leds strings I have, the boards that DVD sells look like what I need, but they need the adaptor.

Are there boards, that do the same thing that doing need the adaptor?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
All of the DC controllers (like you want) use DMX input to control them. This can be from a USB to DMX interface or via an E1.31 (Ethernet) to DMX interface.