Hello from Melbourne Vic AU

Bones

New elf
Greetz all,

The project started off trying light up the small front yard, with maybe a motion light. The area is small but wide. Nothing in Bunnings got my attention.

Now I've got a ISO 2.0 project to build a small (2.5m high 1.6m wide) mega tree for xmas. That's all (ok i can hear some of you snickering down the back). I like my neighbors, so the plan is that the tree will not be very bright, very much like a Kmart $20 special. A motion sensor wakes it up to party whilst they are there. I have an Arduino to play with, and addressable leds to play with. Well, thats the plan . . . for now :)

Please stay safe

Cheers
Paul

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Paul. Not too many members using Arduino for their displays but there are a couple if you need any extra assistance.
Otherwise feel free to review the 101 Manual to learn all topics about the hobby. Make sure to share your progress with the group too :)

PS, leave Kmart alone! (full disclosure, I work at head office!)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's a tad unusual for people to be concerned about their neighbours. It's good to see that you're not wanting to upset them. If you're not planning on going real large I wouldn't worry about the motion sensor. I'd just stick with the tree running a continuous loop and rely on the display being small to not pull in large numbers. IMHO you don't want to have people who walk or drive by to see the lights disappointed if the motion sensor isn't tripped.

Bones

New elf
Done some proof of concept, and the motion sensor (PIR) picks up the heat from a passing car, but not people walking past on the other side of the street. The sensitivity is adjustable, and I can override it.

Maybe the tree will perform like a $30 Big W tree, rather than Kmart :)

Appreciate the wealth of knowledge and experience here.

Cheers
Paul

Bones

New elf
Project completed and running (also survived some rain and wind). It has a Kmart star on the top :)

Normally runs the Big W tree sequence until the montion sensor triggers, then displays 1 or 12 sequences for 1 minute, then goes back to the Big W sequence. Brightness is set to 30%.

Thanks to all those that contribute to this forum, and the FAQ.

Cheers
Paul