Hello - planning for Christmas!!

moricild

New elf
Hi
What a great site. The 101 Manual is terrific.
Just starting out. Will no doubt need some help as my plans come together.
All the best.
M

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Welcome to ACL, and I agree that the 101 manual is a great resource. Please feel free to drop into chat where you can often get real-time help, advice and general chit-chat

Ben F

Lights On Eaglemont
Hey there mate, tell us a bit about yourself? Where are you from and what are you looking to try and do for your first show?

moricild

New elf
Thanks @Ben F. From Melbourne. About to move into a new place that we've been renovating. The family has decided that we need to amp up the Christmas lights (previously some store bought twinkly LEDs in trees) so now I have a new hobby! I have no background in this so I am starting from scratch and have found this forum very helpful.

For this year, I am thinking:
1. a number of strings of pixicles (under eaves, along balconies etc. - they seem easy to hang so the barrier to entry is lower);
2. perhaps some outlines (undecided because of the time and trial/error required to do the work to cut / join strip to size and mount on conduit etc.);
3. a couple of props (e.g., wreath and presents - have been looking at the wireframes at http://www.christmascreations.net.au/wireframes-1.html)
4. maybe a spiral mini tree or two.

I'm keen not to bite off more than I can chew in year one but I figure this will be a good start. If I find I have more time, I could add some arches.

Grateful for the wisdom of the crowd!

I have got my hands on a F16v3 controller courtesy of @darylc and have today placed an order for a few bits and pieces from Hanson Electronics.

I am yet to place an order with Ray Wu. I can't work out why the shipping charges are so high (by contrast to other Ali stores) - have messaged him and haven't yet heard back.

And I have a cart on Bunnings that I have been filling up as well!

Quite a good way to pass the time in pandemic lockdown - learn how to make my family happy with twinkly lights.

All the best

M

Ben F

Lights On Eaglemont
Try Paul Zhang for pixels, I find his customer service and prices to be much better than Ray.

Its an addictive hobby, plenty of people on here willing to share their knowledge though

Last edited: