Help please

PhilW

New elf
Hi

This is going to be my first year, can i ask a question about lights please

I will have a LOR 16 channel controller box, i have loads of LED 240v input- 31v-3.6w output lights, at the moment they have a wall plug adaptor which is also a multi controller, i realise i cannot use this with my LOR controller but if i replace the wall plug multi controller with just a 31v-3.6w wall plug adaptor (the lights work i have tried one) can i then plug these lights into my LOR controller box, rather than buying all new lights i can buy new plug adaptors.

Thanks

i13

Dedicated elf
No. The plugpacks to convert the voltage still cause problems. If they're the heavy type then you might get away with ON or OFF control but I've been told that the lightweight type can catch fire. If you use large switchmode power supplies then their inrush current when first turned on exceeds the current rating of the 240V controller so they'll damage it.

I was trying to get you started with a controller setup for your existing lights here but I'd need to know more about your lights. http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,8988.0.html

Regardless, you really won't have much need for a 240V controller or any hardware from Light-O-Rama. You can get the correct low voltage hardware here in Australia (and a small amount from China) and there is a large range, better prices and excellent community support. If you do decide that you need a 240V controller then you can get them second hand quite cheaply. Just post here saying that you want one. There aren't many lights that are compatible with them.

Your lights can probably be computer controlled but instead of having the setup in this order
controller -> power supply -> lights
the hardware would be in this order:
central power supply -> low voltage controller -> lights