Hi, All from Perth, Western Australia

M4rk

New elf
HI All,

Well what can I say... I do not have one christmas light outside of my house and it makes me sad.

First year in new house and never got around to it, always had dreams of some sort of controlled lighting display and that is why I am here in preparation for next year.

Cheers
Mark

M4rk

New elf
The problem is the planning...

The more I read the more confused one becomes, I need to start tinkering.

I was hoping to use Vixen to run some sort of DMX system with RGB lighting...

But trying to understand what you are jumping into is difficult.

Cheers
Mark

Bird

LOR user
Welcome to ACL Mark.
This is the best place I have found for help with animated lighting. I am on my 2nd year of animation.
Do you want to build lighting controllers yourself? DIY
What ever your decisions, there are lots of friendly helpful people here that can help you along. Lots of info in the forums, Wiki and you could jump into chat as well.

kane

Dedicated elf
M4rk said:
Well what can I say... I do not have one christmas light outside of my house and it makes me sad.

First year in new house and never got around to it, always had dreams of some sort of controlled lighting display and that is why I am here in preparation for next year.
Hi Mark

We've got enough of us from Perth in here, so we've discussed running a mini (a bit of a mini conference/catch up/workshop etc). This will probably be in June or July - register your interest on this thread if you like: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1111.0.html

But in the meantime, you'll definately want to do a bit of reading through the forums, and then post any specific questions you have (or ask in the chat).. Also, if you have any idea on what sort of display you want to do, that's always a good starting point, as you can start with 16 channels of simple DC control, or work your way up to thousands of channels with pixels etc. Perhaps check out the videos in the gallery to get some ideas.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL. One of the best ways to start getting an idea is to actaully get in contact with one of our WA members who would most probably be more than happy to show you around their setup. It all may seem like a new language but with any hobby part of the learning curve is understanding the terminology used, so reading the info here may seem overwhelming but the pieces will start to fall into place
All the best with your lighting journey

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL Mark.

As Eddy said , there are a few over there now. have a look at the members map and see if one might be near you to drive past. I know i've been door knocked be members and i'm more than happy to shed some light. pardon the pun.

Mike

CLAP infected!
Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum. Great to have another Perthie on board
Im sure any of us would not mind having another member round for a chat to ask questions. We have all been there :)

M4rk

New elf
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes I definitely need to go and have a chat and visualise what I have been reading. I am hoping to have some time over the next few days if I can get all the jobs the misses has set out for me...

The next job will be buying a few bits and starting to play, then sorting out the master plan.

Cheers
Mark