Hi all from sunny Vic

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Thought I should jump in here to clarify what Superman is saying.

On the CTB16PC (and I believe all AC LOR controllers, identified starting with CTB for residential grade or LOR for commercial grade), channels 9-16 is what also powers the controllers circuitry so this side must be 240v (or 110v for the US).

The AC boards can either have one power input and a jumper lead (if the voltage for both sides is identical) or two power inputs (one for each side, also known as a bank). The left bank, channels 1-8, can indeed have a lower voltage but this voltage MUST still be AC. For example, 24v AC. Feeding DC to this type of controller may damage it. I have personally never attempted to set up a controller in this configuration, however.

EDIT: What David_AVD says.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Just to expand on my earlier post, the reason you can't use DC with AC controllers is that AC controllers use TRIACs instead of MOSFETS to switch the outputs. A MOSFET can be switched on and off at any time. A TRIAC however is turned on and then stays latched on for the remainder of the the AC (half) cycle. If you use a TRIAC on DC, the first time you turn it on it will just stay on until the power or load is disconnected.

Ben

New elf
Thanks DAVID & RYANSCHRISTMASLIGHTS. So if I want a DC system, I will have to get the soldering iron out, like SUPERMAN says. I have irons and solder and used to build Dick Smith kits a while ago, but I thought it would be just eaisier with a "Plug & Go" kit, but I would rather not have 240vt across the front yard

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
There are other options David's 48 channel board comes complete you just have to screw the wires into the boards

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Hi Ben.

There are many options for DC pre built controllers both here in Australia and from China with out the need to completely DIY. Here are some I use. Yourself, using any of these products this year would be a task. The good thing about your LOR controller your getting is you can still use it in conjunction with another system with a software change and some knowledge.

AVD 48ch

China 27ch

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Also don't forget, that while it does work out to cost more, LOR sell their own DC board. It comes with a completed PCB, but requires input and output leads, an enclosure of some kind and a DC power supply sourced independently.

CMB16D-QC http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

For future reference, CMB LOR products use mosfets and CTB LOR products use triacs. ;)

With the impending announcement of native DMX support in the LOR software there will be little benefit of using a LOR-brand DC board over a DMX alternative (such as the DC48 mentioned in the above post). Might as well save those pennies and go with the cheaper DMX!

Ben

New elf
Now you guys are just messing with my head!!! LOL

Will the AVD 48ch still plug into the LOR (Starter Package, MP3 show director) to get my DC strings? (with software change and some knowledge, not LOR software)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
No it wont just plug in. some additional hardware is required. Work out after this year which track and how big you want to go and start there. Some members prefer to keep it all LOR. I have a mix of both LOR and DMX.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Time to step in again... ;)

You will only be able to use LOR products with a standalone set up, which is what you'd have if you were to use an MP3 director. The MP3 director is fixed to the LOR Software only.

You can however use LOR products connected to a computer with DMX devices. Right now it is possible to run LOR products in DMX mode, using a single DMX dongle (this is different to the LOR dongles), OR have two "networks" - one using your LOR dongle and LOR hardware, another using a standard DMX dongle and DMX hardware.

Once Version 3.0 of the LOR sequencer is released (which appears to be very soon, days even), the three main software sequencers will all be able to run both DMX and LOR in some form. Do note, though, that the DMX support in the LOR 3.0 software is only when driving a display using a computer and not the mp3 director.

In simple terms, you have flexibility with mixing and matching LOR and other DMX hardware using a computer, but will require a computer to be running. But on the other hand, the mp3 director would allow you to have the show completely separate from a computer, although restricted to LOR hardware only.