Hi from Adelaide , South Australia here

Robbo

Full time elf
I have a question with the DC stuff it is more DIY i take it? what does a typical DC set up cost you , and i take it is less power hungry (better on your power bills) and safer to work with than 240 volts.

cost wise it is far cheaper on a per channel basis, yes it is less power consumption and yes much safer to work with and keep your yard safe to people walking past.

a comparison chart for you :)

http://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/index.php/Controllers

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A 24 channel DC controller, power supply and DMX dongle will set you back a bit over $300. That would get you started on DC.

You'd need to use LOR S3 Advanced to run the DC controllers though.

OriginalDoc

New elf
Well thats not too bad, Thanks for the info , i guess i had better start saving now for a DC set up before next December and see if i can get both a 240v set up for the rope lights and a DC for the low voltage happening.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Hi Doc welcome

im a LOR user myself i have 3 x 240ac boards and will be adding Dc boards ad a pixel controller to my display next year. i found LOR a great place to start. remember your display can always grow with your addiction lol.

welcome to the group.

Bird

LOR user
I have a question with the DC stuff it is more DIY i take it? what does a typical DC set up cost you
LOR has DC controller boards also. The DIY part can get quite involved. But you are able to only let it be as involved as you are comfortable with. Example, LOR will give you all parts and pieces and you can build your own board, or you can order a pre-assembled LOR DC board. I perfer pre-assembled. A less expensive route is non-LOR DYI DC boards, David_AVD is one source for DC stuff. Most DIY DC will work with LOR S3 Advanced software.

If you go the DIY route, my suggestion is check and verify compatibility of things in chat or forums before you try to mix non-LOR hardware. Many members have experience with LOR and will help guide you.

If you are old and slow like me, it might take you a month to catch on to all the letters etc. thrown around chat and the forums. (LOR, CCR, DMX, PSU, e1.31 and many more)

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Just an extension to Bird's post, with the LOR DC boards they come assembled only, as some of the DC components are way too small to be soldered by hand. The components are surface mounted instead. Unlike the AC board there's no enclosure paired with the controller, but it is quite the bit smaller than an AC anyhow so it should be easier to find something that it fits in!

And watch out for those TLA's. Three Letter Acronyms. See what I did there? :eek: ;)