Hi from Largs NSW

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
Hi

My name is Jay and I have been a forum lurker for about the last year but figured it was time to actually post :)

I have done static lights for the past 5 or so years and after driving around the local suburbs this xmas I think it's high time someone stepped up and did something more than static! I'm a tech head at heart and would (if possible) love to get a matrix display up and running and /or some timed lights.

I have browsed the forums but if anyone would like to point me in the best direction to get things started I'm all ears!

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Jay welcome to ACL.
Have a browse of the display videos HERE and if there is something you want to replicate perhaps get in contact with them directly to find out how they did it.
Or if someone is nearby and has their display still up you may be able to see how its done in person.

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
After a false start last year I'm finally in a position to get off the ground!

Looking at starting smallish and thinking of the following:

Mega Tree - 180 degrees x 32 strands x 50 pixels with 2 inch spacing (about to start working out how to build the tree)
3 x 3 p10 32x16 panel matrix (still to decide if it will be a pi or beagle running it)
1 x 3 panel p10 32 x 16 matrix to run off my gutters (to be expanded in the future)
4 x arches (materials tba)
1 x outline around a garage door (At this stage likely to be strip led)
All this to controlled by a F16v3.
I'm still tossing up between 5v / 12v.

Planning on spreading put the cost through the year.

Any hints or tips would be most appreciated