Hi from Queensland

Trucking_Al

New elf
Hi, I've had a pretty basic light setup for the last 5 or so yrs and have decided to step up my game and so I'm looking for ideas and help on a bigger and better display.

Trucking_Al

New elf
Welcome to ACL. Are you looking to do anything this year or are you planning for your 2019 display?
I think I'm a bit late for this Christmas, so planning for next Christmas. Gives me plenty of time to plan and gather the gear together.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's not too late. It's literally possible to get up and going within a few days. Grab a copy of the ACL101. Both David and myself sell some blinky gear here within Australia and ACL chat is an amazing resource for sucking up knowledge.

Trucking_Al

New elf
I've been doing a lot of reading on the forum, absolute wealth of knowledge and experience here.
I'm just trying to get my head around some of it. Biggest problem right now is budget - Kids might be a little put out at lack of gifts versus fantastic light show :)

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL!
Timewise you could still get something going but if starting out completely then you definitely need to budget for it. Everything from controllers, lights, power supplies, cable, connectors, heat shrink, cable ties etc etc all add up, and could be costly if all purchased at once at this time of year.
Watch all the display videos, get some ideas of elements or effects you'd like to replicate and have a go at doing those during the year - it might only be Christmas in Dec but I can assure you this is an all year round fun hobby :)

Trucking_Al

New elf
Welcome to ACL!
Timewise you could still get something going but if starting out completely then you definitely need to budget for it. Everything from controllers, lights, power supplies, cable, connectors, heat shrink, cable ties etc etc all add up, and could be costly if all purchased at once at this time of year.
Watch all the display videos, get some ideas of elements or effects you'd like to replicate and have a go at doing those during the year - it might only be Christmas in Dec but I can assure you this is an all year round fun hobby :)
I have quite a few light strings ( Big W ) which I may be able to build around for this year, I am looking around for a controller also. But mostly just as happy to stick with same as last year and just take my time planning for next year so that I can start off decently.

kinglights

Full time elf
Best you can do if you are on a budget this year is go with you Big W Lights. Then plan for next year, check the members display map and see if your close to any of us. Go and the displays, learn and ask questions.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, you will find all the info you need to create an amazing display for next year, but you need to keep at it over the year to learn and build and you will achieve greatness

Trucking_Al

New elf
It's not too late. It's literally possible to get up and going within a few days. Grab a copy of the ACL101. Both David and myself sell some blinky gear here within Australia and ACL chat is an amazing resource for sucking up knowledge.
So, noob question, which is going to be more versatile for starter setup .. Beaglebone or Raspberry Pi ?.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'm running 5 Pi's here. 1 running all my sequences from so it frees up my lappy so I can get onto ACL of an evening and also do some sequencing and the other 4 Pi's all have rPi-28D's on them running the pixels all over my display. The BBB has more processing power but has less capes that plug onto it and it also only has the 1 USB port which can make it inconvenient. The Pi you can plug in a thumbdrive, usb keyboard, usb soundcard and usb dmx dongle into it if desired.

Trucking_Al

New elf
I'm running 5 Pi's here. 1 running all my sequences from so it frees up my lappy so I can get onto ACL of an evening and also do some sequencing and the other 4 Pi's all have rPi-28D's on them running the pixels all over my display. The BBB has more processing power but has less capes that plug onto it and it also only has the 1 USB port which can make it inconvenient. The Pi you can plug in a thumbdrive, usb keyboard, usb soundcard and usb dmx dongle into it if desired.
Ok,next question for you Alan - do you have an octoscroller cape for the Pi ??