Hi, Just introducing myself and a bit of a plug for a product I made.

kane

Dedicated elf
I've been following you're thread as the concept is good and wanted to see where it ended up.

In my view you’re off track now – the original concept worked, with the disadvantage that the user cannot set the DMX channel for the light. That’s where you should be spending you’re time.

I’ll help if I can but I’m busy for the next two weeks.

As long as each light comes pre-programmed to different start channels, I don't think this is a big problem. They're going to be targeted towards permanent installation, I don't think you really need to be able to change the channels regularly?

Kane

shirec

New elf
To program a light with the programmer you can buy or I can import and sell with the lights. This is very easy and cheap. This is it in the link below. You basically just wire the same 4 pin plug into that programmer, plug it into a light, go to the number you want and hit write. Literally took me 2 minutes to write the 20 lights I made. I am now also thinking of making a full kit that is more simple for anyone to use by making 4 pin cable splitters, 2m and 5m leads, a controller with pre programmed sequences and a power supply. This would make the system completely plug and play with no knowledge required. (hopefully).
For this, I will need to source a 4 core cable that's black and hopefully and has somewhere around a 14 gauge wire in each core. I'm guessing the average kit would come with a 5m lead and then multiple 2-meter leads. Still just throwing ideas around at this point.
Making a ws2811 version or a DMX version with a cascading effect that automatically renumbers the following light fittings is still on the cards but I really still have no come up with solutions to many of the problems that exist with those 2 ideas.
Appreciate all the comments tho.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DM-...f-our-DM-series-dmx-decoders/32362631113.html

shirec

New elf
Anyone have any idea for a cheap DMX controller that can output simple patterns. I have already tried the device below and have been through their support and tried to manipulate the extremely complicated program but it just won't achieve what I need so I need other options. Something that can do a slow rainbow across only 10 pixels (lights). QLC is currently doing exactly what I need in my garden, I just need to figure out how to get the same effects on to a cheaper device of some kind.

http://www.huacanled.com/product/showproduct.php?lang=en&id=19

Barnabybear

New elf
There's heaps of code of there for DMX on an Arduino. Outputting simple patterns shouldn't be too hard.
Hi, sounds like a good idea. With a bit of time I bet you could workout how to get it to set the channel of the light fixings as well in a different mode. That would kill two birds with one stone.

shirec

New elf
I spent about 7 hours yesterday on the program called LEDbuild and I think I found a way to make the program do what I want. I just ordered a bunch of splitters and extension leads already made up and when they arrive I can do some tests as to how many lights I can run per chain. I hope for a minimum of 10 but if I hit 20 it would be happier. I think I can use 24v to extend that also. Getting closer to an all in 1 kit now.