Hi need some advixe

Taslightsguy

New elf
Hi I’m looking at doing a nice Christmas display using flights etc. but this bloke is saying his setup cost $350k! Surely it can’t be that expensive to get into the hobby can it?

merryoncherry

Senior elf
Pyro Max... I don't doubt that price figure (reminding myself it is not in USD) because of his expensive pyrotechnics, some of those are 5 figures each, a really overkill computer setup, etc. The pixel light part is a small double digit percentage of it I'd bet... and you don't have to go that big.

But it is not a cheap hobby. Unless you just want a couple of WLED strips, you need a couple thousand to get started... for a controller, cables, extension cords, network, pixels/strips, coro, mounting, etc., sequences, it adds up.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
No one would class Max’s display as “just getting into the hobby”. Think of that as more the upper limit of what is possible to spend if you add all the flamethrowers and really high res screens.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
So, this hobby can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. You can get into it for a few hundred dollars or thousands. hand build for cheaper or pre-buy for more money. Information and learning is your friends. Set an initial starting budget and then playa round with the numbers and materials list to see what you might or might not be able to do.

We all go over budget, if we set one.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
Just with the $8000 fee (when you've spent $350,000 what is another $8000! 😉 ), you could do a ~really~ nice display. In the 101 manual (which you should read), it talks about the parts of your show.

But a somewhat basic show could be budgeted something like:

Show player (FPP on Raspberry Pi with soundblaster, and fm transmitter with power, case and short antenna) about $375 AUD

Controller anything from a $40 ESP controller to a several hundred dollar Falcon with differential receivers.

Pixels $500 AUD for 1000 will get you a 16x50 mega tree and 4 50 pixel arches. Would be a great place to start.

Stuff to make the tree and arches a couple hundred dollars total all in. $200

Power supplies with a couple of cables $100

Miscellaneous another $100.

Round it up $1500 to get started. Of course, your choices will change the budget but this would be one approach to get started.