Hi seems like a good start!

eman

New elf
Hi all,

Thought I might say Hi before I torment everyone with questions! We are in Cranebrook (Western Sydney) and 2014 was the first time we did any lights. That was only because 2 weeks before Christmas I found out our place was decided for the family Christmas dinner... GREAT! We bought some lights through dealsdirect, oo and bunnings; the display must have been ok as cars were slowing down as they passed. Now I've started thinking about 2015, and I'm sure as most of you have found out once you start putting lights up, you want more and more! The wife has given me permission to go nuts (to a point) for 2015 :D

So far the goals for 2015 will be having the below items and controlling them...
- Icicles under the eaves
- Coloured lights around the front retaining wall
- Lights along the roof line
- Build Christmas trees those garden spiral things as seen here
- Make 4 Leaping arches similar to this
- Try and replicate Fasteddy's coro canes

And if possible
- Make a Ho Ho Ho and Merry Christmas signs for the roof
- Make a 3M Tree with star

I will be reusing the inflatable santa, icicles and coloured lights from this year. Looks like the solar lights and themes will get the axe as I've read they can be a pain. Might re-use the reindeer frames and replace the lights...

I've started reading the manual and can see I have a ways to go... especially as I'm already struggling with understanding lights, power, and controllers...

I went out today and bought some 200 & 300 led lights from Masters.

200 have a transformer which converts them to 24-36VDC, same as my existing lights. This means they should be right for hooking up to DC controllers correct?
300 have a transformer which converts them to 24-36VAC... Reading this thread it sounds like I can remove the transformer from the equation and connect straight to a DC controller. Is that correct? If not I guess my options are returning them and getting the 200 lights or having to use LOR controllers?

Cheers,
Eden

dale82

Senior elf
Welcome to ACL Eden, Have you thought about using Pixels or strip for your arches rather than ordinary led's that way you are not restricted to what colour they are and what you can do with them.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The Masters LED sets may be an issue if they are the 2-wire like the Bunnings ones. You can't use them on a conventional DC controller.

eman

New elf
Thanks for the welcome guys. Pixels are definitely on the cards, definitely on the canes and large tree, on the arches sounds like a good idea too.

David - both the 200 & 300 lights have sections of 20 bulbs with 2 wires and then a 3 wire bulb. They should be ok?

Jamie

Lighting up the night.
Welcome Eden to ACL. :) ... Take a good look around and you will be sure you got it right.. A few lights here and a few here and before you know it .....you have a shed full.. FUN.

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome48.gif

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
eman said:
David - both the 200 & 300 lights have sections of 20 bulbs with 2 wires and then a 3 wire bulb. They should be ok?

If there are only 2 wires from the controller (combined with power pack ?) to the first LED then I'd say they will not be suitable.

eman

New elf
David_AVD said:
If there are only 2 wires from the controller (combined with power pack ?) to the first LED then I'd say they will not be suitable.

Yep powerpack & controller are combined. The 300 LED pack only have 2 wires, but the 200 LED packs have 3. Will return the 300 packs and grab more 200 ones I guess.

Thanks David.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Sounds like a way to go. Some ACL members found 3-wire versions (older stock) at Bunnings in December, but it was very hit and miss and store dependent.

eman

New elf
David_AVD said:
Sounds like a way to go. Some ACL members found 3-wire versions (older stock) at Bunnings in December, but it was very hit and miss and store dependent.

Thanks for the early advise David, just went and exchanged them for the 3-wire 200 led versions. Having them all the same should make controlling them much easier. Now onto controllers and RGB lights...

wsydxmas said:

Welcome Emen. You and me in the same situation, newbies and even in the same suburb.
Hears to making Cranebrook go off in 2015 :)

Excellent wsydxmas! 2015 is Cranebrook's year, looking forward to seeing your progress :D

Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:

Welcome to ACL
I'm just up the road at claremont meadows.

Sweet, some decent lighting displays in the area! Just saw the mega tree, holy crap that is awesome!!!

Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome, looking forward to learning heaps!

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey mate, welcome to ACL, here you will find many people with the addiction, trust me it hits fast, i am well into this years planning and setups, buying stuff early so i can get it working, enjoy your new found hobby/addiction