HID Plugs

addz

New elf
Has anyone ever tried using 4 pin HID Connectors they are waterproof and are crimped. I thought it might be quicker and easier then soldering pigtails.

Screenshot from 2023-09-11 21-05-19.png

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I've used these over the past few years on a Mega tree but I wouldn't recommend them, they are a bit fragile and they have let moisture in. I had them on other props but I have since changed them back to screw type.

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
I avoid soldering as much as I can. It takes too long and I find it too fiddly. Instead I use solder heat shrink to make all my wire to wire connections and then use either standard heat shrink or PVC tape to cover and strengthen the connection point and help keep moisture out.

I've had a few of the heat shrink solder joints fail but I think the time saving it provides and the ease of use makes up for it.

Btw the failure mode of the joints I've had fail, has just been connections being pulled apart when I was packing it down, that's why this year I'm strengthening them all and avoiding when possible twisting the wire strands together.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I got some of those connectors to try a few years ago but didn't like them. The Deutsch DT series connectors are much nicer, but more expensive.