Homemade Snow Fluid

Karob

Let there be Light!
After using Snow Fluid from the local DJ shop at over $6.00 a litre and going through at least 1 litre a night I was lucky enough to be told a homemade recipe one night in chat (thanks Mike)
To make 5litres of fluid I use the following
4850ml of Distilled Water
90ml of isopropyl alcohol (available from Jaycar)
60ml of Childrens Bubble Bath
If mixture comes out too wet add more alcohol, if there is not enough bubbles add more bubble bath.
I found it works great and for the price lets me use the machine more and get more smiles from the children coming past.
Thanks again for Mike who gave me this recipe before last season as it saved me alot of $$$$$$$ and now its time to pass on the info so we all can spend the saved cash on more blinky blinky

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Thanks Rob.
I tried this home brew as i was doing about 3 litres a night for 2 machines,
Now i'm doing 6 litres A night

Mike

CLAP infected!
Thats ok Rob. Its a good simple recipe that works well in most machines.

When our machines are running Im using about 8-12 L a night (between the 1200w and 600w machine.) Believe it or not the 600w machine chews it up faster the big girl.
Saves me an absolute fortune on snow fluid.

Im working on a little mix for one of my friends fog machines too. Will post this up when its right

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Think I will start using your recipe. The snow fluid does disappear pretty quickly especially when the kids shout out for "more snow!"

MarcD

Full time elf
I stopped in at Jaycar earlier to pick up some more snow liquid (too lazy to make my own, but I'll remember it for next year). Turns out the Jaycar snow machines have been recalled this year. They didn't say why. Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone was planning on buying one.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
What wattages are you all running, out of interest? Also what are the Jaycar ones like Steve, as Mrs has told me to get one lol

MarcD

Full time elf
I have no idea. I went in to buy snow machine liquid and the guy mis-heard me and thought I wanted a machine. One of the other guys jumped in and said they'd been recalled due to some fault. I assumed he meant the liquid had been recalled, which seemed pretty odd. The original guy came out to the carpark and got me when he realised his mistake.

Sorry, but I don't know what the story is. Might be worth a call to Jaycar if you're worried.

ѕυρєямαη said:
where was the recall notice. I have 3 of them here

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
jaycar machines are 600w, there is 2 ebay sellers that sell 1200w ones for $100 both me an kel have tryed each of the sellers, an the machine arrives normaly with 3 working days (well i got mine over a weekend)
the mix im using an like is 3 cups of bubble, 2 cups of alchole an 8liters of distilled water.

also the 1200w machine's has 2 bottle sizes, a 3L an a 5L..
i can post the ebay links if people need..

Mike

CLAP infected!
The Jaycar machines got recalled due to a reverse polarity issue in the 240v lead (or something like that anyway) I will see if I can find the recall report I got sent from electus.

The 1200w machine is the go and is about as noisy as the 600w jaycar machine. Get the one with the 5L bottle if you can. Im going to soundproof mine this week with the stick on sound proof foam stuff and see if it quietens down a bit.
You have 2 fan settings, low and high, depending on how far you want to blow out the snow. Also with the remote you can dial in the amount of liquid coming in and "tune" it to the fan speed or what lo you get. Also handy for when the mix is a little off.
Model number for this is usually NE-084 which is quite common.

Also I run a 5L bottle on the Jaycar one, take the tube out the little tank and connect it to a bigger bottle with a longer tube , you may need to use a barbed joiner from the gardening section in Bunnings. I now use this as more of a backup than actual main effect. As I said before it uses just as much if not more fluid than the big machine. It has a very similar size pump. Mainly because I can dial in the snow fall and reduce consumption.

Karob

Let there be Light!
I run a 1200w 5 litre machine I got from eBay a couple years ago, think it was Oz Plazza or something like that.
We run it from the balcony inside a insulated box which has not worked as much as I wanted, as we like to put it on when the kids are here we run it from a remote control power point brought from Jaycar, set the machine to full throtle and hit the on button to make it snow, I like to keep the button hidden so the kids dont know who is controlling it.
We are also trying to shine a light onto the snow to make it eaasy to see in the dark and to make the cars going past notice it and stop.
With the prices of the machines not that expensive and the ability to make the fluid at a good price its worth the cost to hear the kids chant SNOW!!!!! with huge smiles on their faces.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Jaycar wouldn't tell me why the machines were recalled here in NZ but a place called Surplustronics is selling them and their story was that when they were tested overseas, they weren't flushed afterwards and arrived in NZ blocked. Surplustronics were unblocking/cleaning them before selling. I bought one from them as my old one from Jaycar died. Seems to work ok. They never mentioned anything about a reverse polarity problem with the 240v (I'm not really sure what that means) but it has me a little worried now.