House outline in electrical trunking thoughts

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I'm not a 100% sure but it definetely has UV stabilised printed on the back of it I've seen this used on the exterior of buildings before but I can't say I know weather it will stay as translucent I spose only time will tell
I suppose I'll take a look at Bunnings when I'm next free.
I have a scrap of smaller trunking, so that might get placed outside for the next few months.

stevelee

Apprentice elf
They look good. I'm surprised how well the light comes through the plastic. My problem is my OCD would not like the inconsistent pixel spacing! LOL!!
My OCD would have me drilling hundreds of small holes and cable tieing each pixel into place.

stevelee

Apprentice elf
40x25 duct/trunk from the electrical wholesalers
Magnets from eBay or local maybe Bunnings
Stainless screws and nuts from a hardware store (do not do up really tight it will break the magnets
A dab of silicon or hot glue so the nuts do not come lose
11.5mm-12mm (test first) drill to the space you want or what your string will let you and your done
1 - 4m length I have about 80 in there 4-6 magnets.
I was wondering if that would work. Thank you for proving it.

I am thinking to permanently mount the apexes for my roof line. There's no gutter and nothing magnetic to stick it to on them, so they'll be screwed up.

TerryK

Retired Elf
A thought regarding UV deterioration, there are aerosol UV coatings available to help protect plastics, vinyls, and such. I've never used them so no idea on how long a coating would last or how often it would need reapplied.

Melinda

New elf
This is the exact thing we were thinking of doing with this product. Except drilling the holes though, which was going to be a lot of holes lol. I'm also surprised how much light comes through, that's great! Thanks for posting. Ended up deciding to go with corro strip this year for convenience and time, but definitely keen to hear how they go in the weather.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I suppose I'll take a look at Bunnings when I'm next free.
I have a scrap of smaller trunking, so that might get placed outside for the next few months.
I went to Bunnings in the weekend. Sure enough, the NZ DETA stock says UV stabilised.

I'll give a scrap piece a go.

Attachments

• IMG_20210606_132031378.jpg
    IMG_20210606_132031378.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 58

MichaelF5

Apprentice elf
hmmm the feel I've had looking at the strips and Stevelee's CDO is your best bet is to get the IP 68 strips and aim them back at the house so you don't get the individual pixels showing and if you tuck it with some aluminium extrusion so the sun does not hit the strip you'd tick most boxes

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I'll give a scrap piece a go.
Just a little bit past 16 weeks ago.... I have finally spent 3min of my life sticking a bit of plastic to a brick.
It's not laziness, it's putting it out when the weather is getting hotter ;).

I have 4 layers of gaffer tape in the middle, so there is a comparison to non-UV exposed area when taken off.
Middle has overlap as normal, ends are offset to see the internal channellings effect with UV exposure.
IMG_20211003_164456093.jpg

Zip tied to a brick so it doesn't blow away. Also because it simulates hot bricks on the house during the day, If I used this I would have it mounted onto the bricks with wall outlines.
IMG_20211003_164855737.jpgIMG_20211003_164851323.jpg

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
I used the 25mm x 16mm one and the square nodes fit perfect. Was originally going to drill out the cover but I had plenty of spare Boscoyo strip so used that instead.
IMG_20200119_214a.jpg
IMG_20200120_071a.jpg

This has been up since November last year and it has not gone brittle. The only thing I have noticed is that they do need a bit of support along the way as they can droop, plus the Boscoyo strip expands and contracts with the weather and I haven't zip tied or fixed it anywhere, drilling out the cover would definitely make it look neater and give it some rigidity.
IMG_20211003_172715.jpg

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
I used the 25mm x 16mm one and the square nodes fit perfect. Was originally going to drill out the cover but I had plenty of spare Boscoyo strip so used that instead.
View attachment 18288
View attachment 18289

This has been up since November last year and it has not gone brittle. The only thing I have noticed is that they do need a bit of support along the way as they can droop, plus the Boscoyo strip expands and contracts with the weather and I haven't zip tied or fixed it anywhere, drilling out the cover would definitely make it look neater and give it some rigidity.
View attachment 18290
Looks great, and nice to know your Bunnings DETA trunking has survived.
There's your inspiration @Zuseleets .

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
No, I did not, and it also holds the power injection wires.
But I drilled the side not the lid or base.
(Bullets)

Cheers

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Just a little bit past 16 weeks ago.... I have finally spent 3min of my life sticking a bit of plastic to a brick.
It's not laziness, it's putting it out when the weather is getting hotter ;).

I have 4 layers of gaffer tape in the middle, so there is a comparison to non-UV exposed area when taken off.
Middle has overlap as normal, ends are offset to see the internal channellings effect with UV exposure.
View attachment 18276

Zip tied to a brick so it doesn't blow away. Also because it simulates hot bricks on the house during the day, If I used this I would have it mounted onto the bricks with wall outlines.
View attachment 18274View attachment 18275
Ha, activity on this post. I forgot about the bit sitting outside.

It doesn't look any different since it was placed outside over a year ago.
1667447081418.png

The Hobo

New elf
Looks like i've locked in my solution then - will be using the 50x25mm DETA trunking and drilling a million holes. Fun times.