How can I cut down on the number of plug packs

borstalboy

New elf
Hi all I am new to all of this but I have managed to build myself a 3m xmas light tree with around 3000 led lights.
How ever now I have a heap of plug packs to plug in which takes up a lot of power boards.
What I would like to do is connect all of these lights into one or two power packs to reduce the number of plugs.
How do I do it?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You may be able to use a (larger) common transformer if the voltages required are all the same.

Maybe list what the plug pack ratings ratings and the set brands are.

borstalboy

New elf
The ones I want to put together are Kmart brought 600leds the power packs are all the same and they are TuMi
Pri 100-240-V 50/60Hz 0.09a
Sec 31V eff 0.12a Max:3.6v
Lamp 2l,31v,0-3.6va tc=75c
I hope this helps
There is a Jaycar near me so if you could reccomend one of theirs that would be great.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Hmmmm... I think these sets use "switch-mode" plug packs. Is the plug pack very light in comparison to the older types?

Where it says 31V, does it have a symbol like the first (AC) or second (DC) type?

wiki-asset

View: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/File:AC_Symbol-png

wiki-asset

View: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/File:DC_Symbol-png

MarcD

Full time elf
I used one of the K-Mart 600 LED strings for my garage door curtain light and they work perfectly running from David's DC48 and power supply if that helps.

Trapper

New elf
Hi,

I am also looking to reduce the amount of powerpack around the different areas of the house.

I Have brought some figure 8 cable and I lent a 24V DC powersupply from a friend for this year... I noticed that all my little power packs have the AC Symbol... will there be any concern running them as DC ... I have tried it on an old set of lights and they have worked except for that this set of lights had a 8 way controller connected to them and that it didnt let any of the different controller options work ... just always on which I am not that concerned about.

Is it okay to keep to a DC Powersupply or should I go towards they AC Type ones....

Thanks, Travis..

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The MFC (Multi Function Controller) uses the 50Hz frequency of the AC to perform the timing for the patterns. The MFC also uses SCRs to switch the lights and these also need AC. They lock on with DC as you've found.

So.... if you want to keep using the MFC's, you could get a higher wattage transformer of the same voltage. What most people here do however is ditch the MFC and plugpack and use the strings on DC via a controller that gets it's commands from a PC.