Answered How can I include a dumb pixel item in my display

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Greetings,
I have a PIxlite16 controller with various WS2811 pixel strings and strips, but want to include a dumb pixel item or two (eg star or angel) in my display.
Taking into account the current draw of a single node, would control for the dumb objects have to be separate (ie run from relays) instead of from the data stream?
And can the actual control be implemented from xlights?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
You can use one of the pixel input DC boards from @AAH (Hanson Electronics) to do that. It takes a 2811 data input and can control 15 "dumb" items.

Controlling them in xlights is simple too. I've done that for a couple of years.

scamper

Dedicated elf
What David said.
You cannot control dumb strings from a pixel controller output as they transmit data out.
There are many dumb controllers on the market, from 3 channel to 60 channel. I have probably got one of them all :D

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I was going to add that my 2811DC15 and 2811DC30 were built specifically for the purpose of adding control of dumb lights/elements into a 2811 pixel network. The 2811 chip itself is only good for about 18.5mA per channel and will only control 5-12V. With some cunning electronics I've allowed the control of up to a couple of Amps per channel while still using the pixel network. Jeff at Canispater Christmas has a video he did on controlling dumb elements with the 2811DC boards that's on the bottom of http://www.hansonelectronics.com.au/product/2811dc15/

This thread is marked as solved. An answer might not be needed anymore.