How can I set Santa to play....

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have a virtual Santa in our bedroom window, it went really well last year.

Can anyone think of a way that I can e.g

1. Shut him off when a sequence is running

2. Turn him on when my neighbours sequence is running (therefore mine is animated, we run together 1 for 1, he has musical sequence, mine is animated, then I have musical he has animated etc.)

3. Even have him orchestrating for one of my sequences? There is a virtual santa symphony download where he has a stick and orchestrates Xmas tunes. If I can find one that has beat close to one of my tunes I could play it while sequence is running?

The way it is hooked up is.....

Projector and DVD player both plugged into mains
HDMI cable going from projector to DVD player
Last year my daughter ran up and turned it on about 30mins before our "shows" began which was a real pain.

Maybe I could create a DVD that when turned on runs Santa for 30mins e.g 8:30-9pm
Then a black screen for 42mins until the sequence (where I have Santa orchestrating) comes on, so Santa turns back on again.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Thats wonderful thanks John!! I didnt think of using laptop to play the DVD instead of DVD player, durrrr.

I will have a look at doing it that way.

If that fails I will recruit the help of a dear friend (OM ;) ) to create a video for me that I can put in projector, push play at e.g 8pm and it will all be timed along with the show e.g black screen when I dont want it on.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Oh yes yes, geez you lot are wonderful. Im really not thinking clearly anymore I dont think lol.

Sequencing all these lights is messin with my mind :D

Bird

LOR user
ShellNZ said:
Oh yes yes, geez you lot are wonderful. Im really not thinking clearly anymore I dont think lol.
Sequencing all these lights is messin with my mind :D
Your not the only one, I should have know better. Ripping DVD to AVI file is easy and therefore easy to sequence. DUH

wjohn

Apprentice elf
have been using the virtual Santa for about 4 years, The kids love it and it is often talked about by the people watching the show. many of the kids want to know if he is real.
I cover the internal glass with tracing paper and project the image on the glass, works great
As for pausing, I have not got anything at the moment. What I had considered is a DMX controlled shutter to cover the front of the lens to hide the video.
ideas for this year or next.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
wjohn said:
As for pausing, I have not got anything at the moment. What I had considered is a DMX controlled shutter to cover the front of the lens to hide the video.

John, you could use one of my DMX to pixel/servo boards with an RC servo and lightweight shutter.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Ive decided to make one longggg mp4 movie.

So it will play like this....

1. Conductor in time to my first sequence
2. Virtual Santa for the length of neighbours first sequence
3. Black screen for my second sequence
4. Virtual Santa for the length of neighbours second sequence
etc etc