How do I configure my LOR CAT5 output to my non-LOR RGB controller?

DanJ

Full time elf
I searched a bit and did not find this one. I am planning to usef an LOR CTBPC16 this year to drive 16 AC channels and use a SanDevices E682 to drive four non-LOR RGB pixel arches. I am not sure how to configure the CAT5 signal to the E682. Do I need to "split" the CAT5 downstream of the LOR-supplied USB RS485 dongle? Or can I just route a CAT5 directly from my PC or from our home's internet router? Thanks very much in advance!!!!

DanJ

Full time elf
Thx OMFT. That makes sense to me! I will have to learn how CAT5, PCs, and other devices do all their talking..... Wow there are lots of "pieces" to setting up RGB for the first time!!!!!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The E68x series require an Ethernet (network) connection. No relation to plain DMX or LOR or dongles.

So you'll use the LOR dongle with the LOR board and plug the E682 into your home PC network.

stkay

New elf
So you can't daisy chain the e682 from the LOR controller output, I'm guessing because of the LOR dongle ie USB485 that I am using. Therefore it is necessary to connect the Sandevice to your network whether wireless or cable for straight communication.
I am considering a wireless router, placing that in a sealed enclosure with the e682 and close to my LOR and run the dongle that way, any thoughts?
Also don't want to steal the thread so we can simplify or start a new topic
cheers

penguineer

Full time elf
stkay said:
So you can't daisy chain the e682 from the LOR controller output, I'm guessing because of the LOR dongle ie USB485 that I am using. Therefore it is necessary to connect the Sandevice to your network whether wireless or cable for straight communication.
I am considering a wireless router, placing that in a sealed enclosure with the e682 and close to my LOR and run the dongle that way, any thoughts?
Also don't want to steal the thread so we can simplify or start a new topic
cheers

The e682 is using ethernet, the LOR devices do serial, so you can't run them off the same bit of wire.

The only thing common to the two units is the RJ45 connectors, the signal that gets sent down the wire is completely different.

Cheers!

ScottyJ

New elf
You could use one of the outputs of the 682 to drive the LOR box in DMX mode then you would just have one wire coming from the computer, this what i plan on doing this year and have tested it out and it works.

Just my 2 cents

Scott

stkay

New elf
Scott
this idea sounds great, so far I connect a wireless router to my sandevice, accessed the control page and tested lights, all working well 8)
Next would be to configure the LOR controllers to run dmx mode :eek: uhhhh and how would a newb do this in simple form. I have read about building a cat5 cable to bridge by swapping pin positions but I am not sure how that would connect to the e682 for output. If you have a quick breakdown would be fantastic

Cheers
reposted here: http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,4961.0.html