How do you attach your Lights to a Colorbond Roof Line?

dale82

Senior elf
Hi there,

I was wondering how everyone attaches their lights to the Roof Lines? I have a pretty large Roof Line that I need to cover so I was after tips or tricks on what you guys do to attach them, My last display didn't have any as the house had a flat roof. I would like to try and avoid a permanent fixture if I can. I have searched endlessly on the ACL site and also Google as well and I cant find a darn thing. Pic below is my house and my Roof line that I need to figure out. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.

Thanks
Dale

myhouse.jpg

denno020

Apprentice elf
Not a stupid question at all! I faced the very same issue over the past few years, until last year I finally went the permanent route. Before that, I was using bulldog clips to clip my lights to the edge of the ride capping. This did mean that the lights weren't in the centre point of the roof lines, which was annoying, but price to pay for being able to pull the lights down without any markings later (use some electrical tape around the jaws of the clip so there isn't metal on metal when they clip in).
I did purchase some powerful magnents (search "rare earth magnet", or "neodymium magnet"), but I never got around to trying those because I went the permanent fixings

dale82

Senior elf
And what was the permanent fixture denno? I think I might just be over thinking things

denno020

Apprentice elf
In the end I did my best to "blend" the permanent fixtures into the roof, so they won't stand out that much during the year, and to be honest they don't really. Sure I notice them, because I know they're there, but I haven't had anyone comment on them when there haven't been lights up.
I actually created a post on this site back when I put them up :). Here's the link: https://auschristmaslighting.com/th...k-of-my-colorbond-roofing-light-mounts.11107/

The double sided tape that I used has held up very, very well!

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
This is how I mounted my pixels on my colorbond roof parts list is 1 deta conduit clip, 2 small magnets or 1 bigger one with hole in the middle, 3 or 4mm Perspex to suit magnets as they get double sided taped to it, 1 piece of heat shrink tube big enough to go over magnets and perspex and long enough to fold over the edges to do a full seal and then use a stainless screw to screw the lot together .Magnetic clips 1.jpgMagnetic clips 2.jpgMagnetic clips 3.jpgMagnetic clips.jpg

Red

l kill you
This is wat we did, it allowed us to mount off the existing roofing screws and causing no damage to the roof, using pool noodles to create a stand off between the roof and the support structures, seemed to work well, when we removed the models at the end of the season, there was no visible damage, ours was an extreme way for the angle was 35 degrees, , not easily climbed upon, lam sure yours presents an easier approach too20191119_130524_resized.jpg

bretheron

Been bitten by the bug.
I have used Sticky back cable tie holders - remove the sticky and silicone to the roof. They are non permanent, although mine have been there for a while now. I love the idea of magnets but never really got there.

dale82

Senior elf
This is how I mounted my pixels on my colorbond roof parts list is 1 deta conduit clip, 2 small magnets or 1 bigger one with hole in the middle, 3 or 4mm Perspex to suit magnets as they get double sided taped to it, 1 piece of heat shrink tube big enough to go over magnets and perspex and long enough to fold over the edges to do a full seal and then use a stainless screw to screw the lot together .View attachment 14267View attachment 14268View attachment 14269View attachment 14270
Brilliant idea mate, just wondering where You purchased the magnets from?

Shane G

New elf
Generous elf
Brilliant idea mate, just wondering where You purchased the magnets from?
You can get them off eBay this is what I used.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/N52-Sup...var=413917810459&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The magnets are the dearest part found i had to use two per clip at about 75cents each and the double sided tape from Bunnings I bought a 10 meter roll and have heaps left after making 300 clips. found about 1meter apart was good for 20mm conduit and didn't move at all even had a storm with 25mm size hail and wind.
My total coast of each clip made up was $1.98 each.
Plus the height of the clip was perfect for bullet pixels pushed into conduits .

bpratt

Senior elf
Trying to find a way to do similar, but I need to have mine sit at least 100+mm higher at the top part of the roof, so that they can be seen from the road, as my solar panels would block the view of the pixels if I couldn't make them sit up fairly high off the ridge of the roof.

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
I have 5 rare earth magnets over a 4 metres and they are stored on the patio on the side of a steal beam no problems. You can always add a couple more. One big thing I found with those magnets is do not do them up really tight as the break very easily.