1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

How do you attach your rgb strip light to gutters etc

Discussion in 'How is my display put together...' started by bbayjohn, Mar 18, 2012.

1. bbayjohn

bbayjohn Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Ok so ive read just as many posts as I can handel 4 tonight. Some 5 and 6 times.
    Might sound like a dum question but how do you mount your strip lights to gutters etc. With rope lights I would simply use gutter hooks and this kept them tidy. I see some use conduet but what holds the conduet?

Cheers John

Ps getting close to ordering the LOR now that I see that I can get a bridge to E1.31 and have my own little Universe.

2. Bird

Bird Proud LOR user

Last year I used gutter hooks like you.
    This year I will be using the same LED lights but the will be inside tubes. See Mysterious raids around the world
    I will be hanging them with 3"J-Hook Pipe Hanger (see post in same thread above)
    If I switch to RGB for the gutters it will be the same system.

3. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Most of us use 25mm electrical conduit to cable tie the strip to the conduit. Then just just use some steel wire to then make up some hooks that go over gutters and hook the conduit on to. Or im my case use some cable tie holders silconed to the gutter.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attached Files:

4. grahami2006

grahami2006 Full Time Elf

There is another way. I am trying this year by using handy magnets. These can be bought by the metre and then cut to whatever length you need.

5. OP
    OP
    bbayjohn

bbayjohn Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Inside those tubes look great if I can source some down this way, I think I would like to use them verticaly up the walls or around the widows and maybe a fireworks style. Magnets sound cool, would like to see how that works out. Conduet looks a bit messy but may be the easiest to do.
    Ok so next questions. What is the max length of cable you can use from controller to rgb strip lights and what sort of cable works best? If I order from LOR tonight how long would it take to reach Aus?

6. Benschristmaslights

Benschristmaslights Dedicated Elf Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    john if you have a read through this it has all the info you are after. those strips are from china and are in the manual. it is a great read and well worth sitting down and taking the time to read.
    http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.msg16745.html#new

in regards to the lor controller it took just over a week to get mine. but once again read through the manual as there are many options and there may be others that meet your needs and at a cheaper price. do not get me wrong lor is great as i have 3 AC boards myself. i am also using rays boards that once again you will find in the manual.

7. smartalec

smartalec Im a SmartAlec what can i say! Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    i just peeled away the sticky back an stuck them on,..too simple..lol

8. DeeJai

DeeJai Is that Magic Smoke?!?

my gutters have the overfill slots near the top of the gutter itself, I will be attaching 25mm conduit to the gutter utilising zip ties and these holes.

They are perfect as they are spaced out every 10cm or so.

9. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Not as messy as you think, plus the advantages to this are that you ensure nice straight lines within your display, that is one of the things that a lot of people comment on is the straight lines of the lights. The other advantage to this is that the strip can be damaged easily if bent or kinked, these are not like rope lights, so the conduit also acts as a substrate to make the strip rigid and prevent it from being damaged. The last advantage to this is that it makes it very quick and easy to mount and reamove and also store away. And its cheap.

The distance is determined by a few factors.

A: Cable diameter used (cable resistance)
    B: Length of cable run (cable resistance)
    C: Voltage Used (volts)
    D: Load used on the cable (amps)

This is explained in the power supply section of the ACL manual

Most of us use 14/020 4 core or 6 core security cable which is good for approx 4.4 amps
    4 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=876
    6 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=877

It can vary on many factors, generally give it a month from time of order to recieving

10. tuppet

tuppet Apprentice Elf

11. OP
    OP
    bbayjohn

bbayjohn Senior Elf

Find Me On:
  12. OP
    OP
    bbayjohn

bbayjohn Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Ho hum, wish i orderd sooner, dont like waiting that long for items purchased