How do you attach your rgb strip light to gutters etc

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Ok so ive read just as many posts as I can handel 4 tonight. Some 5 and 6 times.
Might sound like a dum question but how do you mount your strip lights to gutters etc. With rope lights I would simply use gutter hooks and this kept them tidy. I see some use conduet but what holds the conduet?

Cheers John

Ps getting close to ordering the LOR now that I see that I can get a bridge to E1.31 and have my own little Universe.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Most of us use 25mm electrical conduit to cable tie the strip to the conduit. Then just just use some steel wire to then make up some hooks that go over gutters and hook the conduit on to. Or im my case use some cable tie holders silconed to the gutter.

[attachimg=1]

[attachimg=2]

Attachments

• Gutter1.JPG
    Gutter1.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 443
  • Gutter2.JPG
    Gutter2.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 445

grahami2006

Full time elf
There is another way. I am trying this year by using handy magnets. These can be bought by the metre and then cut to whatever length you need.

bbayjohn

Senior elf
Inside those tubes look great if I can source some down this way, I think I would like to use them verticaly up the walls or around the widows and maybe a fireworks style. Magnets sound cool, would like to see how that works out. Conduet looks a bit messy but may be the easiest to do.
Ok so next questions. What is the max length of cable you can use from controller to rgb strip lights and what sort of cable works best? If I order from LOR tonight how long would it take to reach Aus?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
john if you have a read through this it has all the info you are after. those strips are from china and are in the manual. it is a great read and well worth sitting down and taking the time to read.
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.msg16745.html#new

in regards to the lor controller it took just over a week to get mine. but once again read through the manual as there are many options and there may be others that meet your needs and at a cheaper price. do not get me wrong lor is great as i have 3 AC boards myself. i am also using rays boards that once again you will find in the manual.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
my gutters have the overfill slots near the top of the gutter itself, I will be attaching 25mm conduit to the gutter utilising zip ties and these holes.

They are perfect as they are spaced out every 10cm or so.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bbayjohn said:
Conduit looks a bit messy but may be the easiest to do.

Not as messy as you think, plus the advantages to this are that you ensure nice straight lines within your display, that is one of the things that a lot of people comment on is the straight lines of the lights. The other advantage to this is that the strip can be damaged easily if bent or kinked, these are not like rope lights, so the conduit also acts as a substrate to make the strip rigid and prevent it from being damaged. The last advantage to this is that it makes it very quick and easy to mount and reamove and also store away. And its cheap.

bbayjohn said:
Ok so next questions. What is the max length of cable you can use from controller to rgb strip lights and

The distance is determined by a few factors.

A: Cable diameter used (cable resistance)
B: Length of cable run (cable resistance)
C: Voltage Used (volts)
D: Load used on the cable (amps)

This is explained in the power supply section of the ACL manual

bbayjohn said:
what sort of cable works best?

Most of us use 14/020 4 core or 6 core security cable which is good for approx 4.4 amps
4 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=876
6 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=877

bbayjohn said:
If I order from LOR tonight how long would it take to reach Aus?
It can vary on many factors, generally give it a month from time of order to recieving

bbayjohn

Senior elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
bbayjohn said:
Ok so next questions. What is the max length of cable you can use from controller to rgb strip lights and

The distance is determined by a few factors.

A: Cable diameter used (cable resistance)
B: Length of cable run (cable resistance)
C: Voltage Used (volts)
D: Load used on the cable (amps)

This is explained in the power supply section of the ACL manual

bbayjohn said:
what sort of cable works best?

Most of us use 14/020 4 core or 6 core security cable which is good for approx 4.4 amps
4 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=876
6 Core: http://electriciansupplies.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=26_70&products_id=877

Thanks
I've got a lot of learning to do.

bbayjohn said:
If I order from LOR tonight how long would it take to reach Aus?
It can vary on many factors, generally give it a month from time of order to recieving

Ho hum, wish i orderd sooner, dont like waiting that long for items purchased