How far is too far and null pixels

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
hi guys,

I am told that the falcon f48 is better than the f16v3 for long distances. If I am only running data from my f16 and the distance from my controller to my first pixel display is 25-30 metres away, is not possible to just keep inserting a null pixel every 3-5 metres to make these distances achievable?

I ask because 2019 will be my first year and I just want to start out small and build up. I was thinking the one controller could get me going for now.

Nuzzy

Apprentice elf
I would put one of @AAH ’s null pixel buffers after the output of the F16, will have no problems running out the 30 metres then. I run mine out around 10 metres straight off the controller with no issues so maybe try the 25 first then put a buffer in if needed.

Dez

I would put one of @AAH ’s null pixel buffers after the output of the F16, will have no problems running out the 30 metres then. I run mine out around 10 metres straight off the controller with no issues so maybe try the 25 first then put a buffer in if needed.

Sorry, but what is a null pixel buffer? I haven’t heard of this before

Jay.S

Full time elf
It's a circuit board that mimics the functionality of the chip inside WS2811 LEDs without actually having an LED on-board. It may actually do some signal boosting as well, don't know enough about them...

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It's a circuit board that mimics the functionality of the chip inside WS2811 LEDs without actually having an LED on-board. It may actually do some signal boosting as well, don't know enough about them...
It is actually a buffer that provides a high current, low impedance/resistance source which is better able to drive into long distances of cables.
There's a video on the bottom of the product page that Nuzzy linked to.
In theory the F16 should get you out to maybe a max distance of 20m. Inserting my Null Pixel Buffers somewhere in the 5-10m range from the F16 should easily get you 30-40m from controller to pixels. You can daisy chain them every 20-30m for essentially forever if you really wanted to.

Jay.S

Full time elf
In that video, how close was the buffer to the data source? I am thinking I need one for each port of my F16, I am just wondering if I insert it as close as possible to the controller and keep it all inside the enclose how effective it would be...

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
In that video, how close was the buffer to the data source? I am thinking I need one for each port of my F16, I am just wondering if I insert it as close as possible to the controller and keep it all inside the enclose how effective it would be...
I had the Null immediately after a 12V 2811 module. Theoretically I could have put it maybe 3-5m downstream from the pixel module. The F16 "should" have 20m range but I don't know what the output circuitry looks like on it. I should have a look next time I see 1. The ready to go version is an easy implementation if you are using 3 core pigtails. If there is a problem then you just bung 1 in in seconds.

Dez

Thank you. I assume this would be the same as the the falcon one they sell?