How hard would this be to design

Dennis Cherry

New elf
You could wire your whole yard that way and really have a knock out display.

Would be a nightmare just using standard controllers but easier using RGB nodes.

Today's software would not even come close for us to sequence with either.

kool-lites

Full time elf
most ppl have enough difficulty understanding time varing matrices, adding a 3rd spacial dimension and expecting them to comprehend planar math is a tall ask. ???
I would love one on my coffee table. 8)

mrpackethead

Full time elf
I saw a massive one of these in China at the led show.. Theres a company that makes the stuff, and they had a cube that was about 3 x 2 x 3 meters.. It was ok, but i have to say, i wasn't super taken back by it.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I think this is something that does not scale well. On a desk as an RGB 8*8 or 10*10 item in a perspex box I'd be impressed and would want one. Make it a couple of meters per side and I think it would just look, well, odd

damo1271

Full time elf
I once found some sites that had software and instructions for building one and it shouldnt be too hard to locate through Google. One site even had the software so you could design your sequence and program it to the onboard microcontroller. I never saved the site. :(
Soldering of the unit was realtively simple, you soldered lines of LEDs first (ie the vertical columns and then you combined the vertical columns into sheets and then sheets into the cube. Wiring was a nightmare due to the sheer number of connections needed. Coding would be equally tricky to make patterns and display them smoothly.