How many channels

Ltmup

Full time elf
Looking at what type of controller to get, using D1 mini as proof of concept. There seems to be two schools of thought on using multiple channels to one prop eg mega tree. What is the advantage of not using a channel to it's potential in terms only of data?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
D1 are cheap but i would look at a controller designed for this purpose like a falcon or a advatek. we do not use these to the max of 4 universes per output usually because you will get some lag in data. plus you do not want 1 output to stop working or a pixel near the beginning of a run to fail and half your display goes out,

Ltmup

Full time elf
D1 just used as play thing. I don't care if magic blue smoke comes out. So multiple channels just used for redundancy and I imagine ease of fault finding. No effect when using proper controller such as f4? They seem to be the go to. Other good options with good expansion? Hanson?

Benslights

Dedicated elf
all depends on what your wanting do you have a drawing of your house and what you want to achieve?

Ltmup

Full time elf
What I want to achieve is dependent on she who must be obayed. Rough idea mega tree 600 pixels,maybe more ,4 arches pixels or strip tba, 4 spiral trees ,outline house 1000 pixels? Use Bunnings 2 wire as droppers across roof big??? Hanson controller for that. I am good with the wiring scretchy with IT. If possible will keep as much electronics inside garage as Xmas in Darwin can be a lot damp

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
What I want to achieve is dependent on she who must be obayed. Rough idea mega tree 600 pixels,maybe more ,4 arches pixels or strip tba, 4 spiral trees ,outline house 1000 pixels? Use Bunnings 2 wire as droppers across roof big??? Hanson controller for that. I am good with the wiring scretchy with IT. If possible will keep as much electronics inside garage as Xmas in Darwin can be a lot damp

That sounds like a lot for small D1 controller's.
Hope if these are wireless based that you've got dedicated wireless access points. Like with IT, cable is more reliable.
If you've got the money to go ahead with Hansen controllers I'm sure an F4 wouldn't be much, an F16 is a step up again.
1600+ is a lot, I would want a reliable controller for that many.

A thousand pixels is a fair bit for an outline. 150 C9 pixels is all I need for the roofline.
Arches have 100 nodes each.

It's a trade off, more 'resolution' and resources.

But going overboard is this hobby, Just like buying a decent controller. :)
Plan for the years budget; more can come later.

Ltmup

Full time elf
Some confusion here . D1 just to see if I could make pixels work. Cheep and expendable. Not intended for final product. I am trying to get a good idea of what I need in a controller while not really knowledgeable about my requirements and the language of this hobby

Benslights

Dedicated elf
best place to start

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
My controllers are cheap and easy to come by here in Aus. The only real disadvantages are that they only suit WS281x pixels for the pixel controllers with the rPi boards also having DMX out for controlling the dumb elements. The other disadvantage is also an advantage. They run off Falcon Player from a Pi or BeagleBone Black. This means they aren't a dedicated controller like Falcon F16/F4 or Advatek Pixlite. However being controlled by Falcon Player than can run standalone with no need for a PC. The HE123 can also control more pixels than pretty near anything on the market. With all 48 outputs populated it can control 48,000 pixels or thereabouts.

Ltmup

Full time elf
Read through. Good info. I am looking to learn from those who know take on board and adapt to what I can achieve. I have no background in IT so many of the the terms used are new . It took me an hour to stop a poly line. But that's the point, lean some thing new.

Ltmup

Full time elf
Hi AAH. We emailed over Xmas / new year and I appreciate the time you spent. Unfortunately my current knowledge level means I don't understand what you said. Yes that low. Eager to learn thow