How Much Current do you use per Channel? ( Low voltage DC )

multicast

Senior elf
I'm working on something at the moment, and i was hoping you fine people might give me some help with some 'field' data.

I'd really appreciate it, if its not too hard, if you could tell me the what the current per channels you actually use are, in your real life shows. ( as opposed to the current that stuff is rated for.. ) I'm not too worried about what voltage you run stuff at.

This is not for pixels, just for boring on Control of LED stuff.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Most of the loads I use on the DC controllers in my display are in the range of 200mA to 600mA per channel. These are Big W strings mainly.

There are a few that are in the 1A to 2A range though. These are things like meteor tube sets and the like.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The lowest "typical" current is probably for 27V 6W Big W style leds so about 200mA (ish). The highest typical current will be for strings of 100 RGB dumb nodes that are often used on mini trees. These work out to 2A per channel. Then there is the non-typical loads of those used by dumb rgb strip for around windows etc. The highest I have seen on these is a user in S.A. who had some window surrounds that were in the range of about 5A/channel. I think that originally he wanted it higher as the window required more than this but I talked him into splitting the load across 2 channel groups.

multicast

Senior elf
Thanks.. Seems 5A is probably a good sensible upper limit.