How small do you want your pixel controller!

elnino

Full time elf
Hi all, I posted some of this in other areas of the forum but it's best suited here.

For some time now I have been working on Arduino based E1.31 controllers. I have developed a 64 channel PWM based controller and now have a working Pixel controller too.

This one is based on an Arduino pro mini and an ENC28J60 Ethernet module so it is very small. The disadvantage with this is it's only really capable of about 2 universes before the Atmega328 runs out of SRAM.

I currently only have it set up with one universe and speed wise it is fine - I am using Vixen and have it at 10ms updates and it's smooth with no noticeable loss of packets.

Soon I will re-work the code to support 2 universes but in reality it may not have enough SRAM to support the full 1024 bytes needed for the array to hold pixel data (this is currently untested - The E1.31 packet will use about 640 bytes alone, minus whatever the code itself uses, whatever we have left is available for more pixels...)

In short, for those that are a little handy with a soldering iron and are prepared to learn just the very basics of arduino (A monkey could do it) then you have a minimum one universe pixel controller for about $10!

2014-10-03 14.15.01.jpg 2014-10-03 14.15.43.jpg

View: http://youtu.be/ekL2u8TyuLQ?list=UUkD4CgGfvFT39j5oZ5CNw0Q

Once I have it tested with more pixels I'll post the code here but if someone wants in early, let me know.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I must be a monkey then.. :D
I love the arduino micro's an the power they can do..
Love the star Bust effect

so now i have to order more micro's.. as i allready have them ethernet boards but not used..

the arduino is making it realy easy to make simple elements into E1.31 elements.. (an lost cost as well)

battle79

Full time elf
Very cool.

I'm am also very interested in hearing about the E1.31 64 channel unit. Assuming it must use a breakout board to house all the hardware.

Sounds like it might be a tuppetslicerTM , but at smartalecs' (and mine too) price point!

Cheers,
Rowan

elnino

Full time elf
battle79 said:
I'm am also very interested in hearing about the E1.31 64 channel unit. Assuming it must use a breakout board to house all the hardware.

I just spent like 45 mins typing up a new topic with full details and then the forum decided it didn't like me and dumped the lot :(

I'll try it again a bit later. In the mean time, yeah, it sort of has a breakout system but it's a 'cube'. There is still a bit of work to do on it but I doubt I will be refining it much as I have already made the controllers I need and they are functional. There are some design flaws that need fixing but it's minor and more cosmetic than strictly function. I will be releasing all my board designs and code for someone else to refine but I don't mind helping out.

elnino

Full time elf
That is way cool - Glad to see it's working so well!

bob_moody

Apprentice elf
Any more development on this?
I have a couple of props that would be perfect for this.
A Ferrari is great, but its a little overkill to go to the end of the driveway for the paper...LOL ..
A compact little controller to run the roof line and the window outlines would be awesome ..
Bob