How to attach lights and light frames to a tile roof

Hi all I'm a new member and have only just started out with decorating my house, my house has a tile roof and I was just wondering how other members have made their lights and rope lights stay on a their tile roof, I also have a light frame of Santa in a sleigh that I would like to put up on the roof, but have no idea where to start or what I need, so any information or pictures of how you have done your self would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :)

burner

Full time elf
I don't have any pics, but most of those wire frames come with a triangle stand behind them. I usually use orange nylon string to tie them up to the roof trusses. Usually I start by pushing 1 roof tile up on the 2nd row, and wrap the string around a truss, and then tie it tight to the wire frame, so it presses up against the other tiles in that roof. Then pull that tile back and repeat the same process with the 3rd row to tie back the triangle frame piece. This method has lasted me for 7 years now, using the same strings, that I leave in the roof each year. I do this with a wireframe sleigh with 4 reindeers with rope lights.

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Hi Lanas we mount our reindeer and Sleigh with galvanised strips from our hardware store . These are about 1.5" wide and have holes punched in them. You can buy a roll from the plumbing section.

We make a small horizontal rectangular frame out of four lengths for each reindeer with one foot in each corner. The shape will be something like this. Bolt these together with 3/8 bolts and wing nuts.

___ +____+_______
| |
| |
| |
| |
| |
____+___+_______

The the two ends on the LHS above go under one roof tile. Bend the ends on the RHS under and push under the next roof tile. From the side should be

_ . ______
__ .____|

Then tie the reindeer feet individually to the gal strip on each corner with wire. Twist tight so they cannot move.

We have found this very successful and now just leave the strip up on the roof all year and nobody notices.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have always made my own tile clips out of some tie wire or old steel coat hangers, put a bend on them and then they slot up between the tiles and hook onto the back of the tile. To remove its just a case of pushing it forward before twisting and pulling out. But ive had large wire frames held in that way in the past.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
I myself amd using cable tie brackets, which I will adhere to the tile using silicone paste. I got this idea from Superman. Basically, the zip tie will go theough the bracket and then around my conduit to hold it in place.

This is obviously only going top work for non 3d items, so upright standing wire frames may not will not work.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Matt said:
I myself amd using cable tie brackets, which I will adhere to the tile using silicone paste. I got this idea from Superman. Basically, the zip tie will go theough the bracket and then around my conduit to hold it in place.

This is obviously only going top work for non 3d items, so upright standing wire frames may not will not work.

This is the method i use for my roof line as well. I use the tie wire method for the tiles

Thanks everyone for the great responses, I have an idea of how to do now, any tips for keep rope lights up their?

burner

Full time elf
Lanas kids lights said:
Thanks everyone for the great responses, I have an idea of how to do now, any tips for keep rope lights up their?

This year I'm throwing my 50m Red rope light alond the ridge/capping of my room. I'm planning on using the same tape I normally use each year for my roof lights, which has help up through all sort of wild weather. I can't remember what it's called, but I get it from Bunnings, it is clear, and has strings of hair/cotton running through it. You can't cut it with your hand or teeth, and need a pair of scissors.

Because the rope light is quite heavy, I might go the extra effort and pull a roof tile off at certain intervals, and tie to the rafter then loop around and tie the rope light then back to the tile on the other side. This will take a little load off the tape.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
burner said:
Lanas kids lights said:

This year I'm throwing my 50m Red rope light alond the ridge/capping of my room. I'm planning on using the same tape I normally use each year for my roof lights, which has help up through all sort of wild weather. I can't remember what it's called, but I get it from Bunnings, it is clear, and has strings of hair/cotton running through it. You can't cut it with your hand or teeth, and need a pair of scissors.

Because the rope light is quite heavy, I might go the extra effort and pull a roof tile off at certain intervals, and tie to the rafter then loop around and tie the rope light then back to the tile on the other side. This will take a little load off the tape.

sounds to me like it is a fibreglass reinforced tape. kind of an expensive way to keep doing it, but if it works, why change i guess.

burner

Full time elf
Matt said:
burner said:
Lanas kids lights said:

sounds to me like it is a fibreglass reinforced tape. kind of an expensive way to keep doing it, but if it works, why change i guess.

From memory, it's only $5-7 a roll, and seems to last me 2 years. Just make sure you take a rag up to the roof and wipe first before taping, to get a better stick.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
burner said:
Matt said:
burner said:
Lanas kids lights said:

From memory, it's only $5-7 a roll, and seems to last me 2 years. Just make sure you take a rag up to the roof and wipe first before taping, to get a better stick.

I have found that with the heat on black tiles in summer and the tape just ends up coming off after a short time

burner

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
burner said:
Matt said:
burner said:
Lanas kids lights said:

I have found that with the heat on black tiles in summer and the tape just ends up coming off after a short time

I've found that too, in some places. My roof faces west, so plenty of heat there. The lights are on the roof for 1 month, so I tend to make 1-2 visits to do a recheck. This year I'll be using the orange string too, so it should hold well if the tape weakens.

JPB

Full time elf
Attached are photos of three fixing methods I use.
One is a tie down point for frames, The first is a base for 3D see saw frame that I need to keep level the middle one is a tie down point for rope lights and the last is a tie down point for wire frames.

The tie down points stay up all year.

Jon

Attachments

• 01012010.jpg
    01012010.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 209
  • 01012010(002).jpg
    01012010(002).jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 215
  • 01012010(003)-1.jpg
    01012010(003)-1.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 207

Wombat

Full time elf
I got a heap of large wooden cutouts (7) Painted with bright colours from a garage sale for $40 bargain. now I have to work out how i'm going to mount them on the roof. might need something a bit stronger than that though. these might just pull the tiles off with them.

Wombat