Howdy from Logan City

mhthomas

New elf
@David_AVD
Sorry David, I should have explained myself a little better I would like to know if the DC controller would be as easy to use as the LOR packs. I worry that the power plugs will not remain tightly connected with the LOR board mounted to the wall, and please correct me if im wrong but will the DC

AAH : 2811DC30 connect via stripped hard wire connections?

penguineer

Full time elf
Welcome aboard!

LOR does both AC and DC units.

Assuming that you use your light strings you can go either AC or DC, but there will be some conversion of the lights involved.
- If you go AC you will need to "nobble" the controller units on the lights(so that the lights are on when power is on). This can be fiddly.
- If you go DC you just need to cut off the plug plack and controller and strip the wire ends.

Much easier and safer to go DC.

Cheers!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The best method to control your BIG W strings is to cut the MFC (multifunction controller) off them and wire directly to a DC controller boards. You'll need a 30V power supply instead of the original plug packs.

If you use a DMX DC controller you can plug that into your PC via a USB DMX dongle:

[PC] -> [USB DMX Dongle] -> [DMX DC Controller] -> [Lights]

If you use a DC controller with pixel input (like the AAH 2811DC30) you'll need a pixel controller instead of the USB dongle:

[PC] -> [ECG-D2 Controller] -> [AAH 2811DC30 Controller] -> [Lights]

mhthomas

New elf
Hi guys thanks for the help is there anywhere in Brisbane I can go and speak to someone about the right board for my setup I think im just confusing myself I have read the 101 guide 4 times now and it seems to make less sense wen choosing a board than when I started LOL please help. I will need at least 96 Channels and that's just the sets that I already have not including the ones on order. I think might need to invest in a new shed for next year LOL

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I'm in Ipswich and have got most systems here From LOR to to pixel controllers if you would like to go for a drive

mhthomas

New elf
Thanks Superman I would appreciate that. I think actually seeing the controllers and being able to ask some questions as they arise will make it easier for me.

penguineer

Full time elf
Take a look at some of the gear if you can. When I started I had a serious case of information overload and all the power supplies, pixels, strings, controllers, DMX all turns into one big ominous mess - seeing the gear "in the flesh" is a real help to sort it all out.

I have a simple LOR setup using BigW strings if that helps - but do not have any of the more advanced stuff.

If you're looking at what you can move towards next year I'd recommend having a look at one of the more pixellated displays.....

Cheers!

FWIW - I'm on Mount Tamborine

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
A simple setup to run your Big W strings would be:
  • USB DMX dongle
  • DMX DC controller(s)
  • 30V DC power supply
  • A few cables
That's it. Quite easy to get up and running. :)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Like penguineer said, try to think about what you are likely to want from your display over the next few years before investing too heavily in equipment right now. Look at the videos of the displays that people have done to help you decide on your direction. The first year can be very confusing but you learn a lot from the experience and from the people on this forum. I recommend dipping your toes in for first year rather than taking a full dive in.

I had done Xmas light displays for about 10 yrs but none were synced to music. Two years ago I did my first display with LOR but started out with quite a small component synced to music as RGB was very new to me. Very quickly you get taken over by pixel fever and I am now glad I started out small. I started with LOR and a couple of DC boards and a few strings of dumb RGB but have now changed to LSP and pixel mania has taken hold. I'm not saying not to go the LOR way.... there are many examples here of amazing displays produced with LOR, and it's one of several great options for this hobby... I'm just pointing out that after you have gotten your feet wet in year one, you may want to change direction in year two and don't want to be regretting that you have spent a lot of money on tons of gear that you have now outgrown.
If you could visit someone like superman and see all the stuff in the flesh and pick an experienced brain, you will learn heaps and super(man) fast.
I'd offer to show you my stuff but I'm a bit far away.

penguineer

Full time elf
logandc99 said:
Like penguineer said, try to think about what you are likely to want from your display over the next few years before investing too heavily in equipment right now. Look at the videos of the displays that people have done to help you decide on your direction. The first year can be very confusing but you learn a lot from the experience and from the people on this forum. I recommend dipping your toes in for first year rather than taking a full dive in.
I had done Xmas light displays for about 10 yrs but none were synced to music. Two years ago I did my first display with LOR but started out with quite a small component synced to music as RGB was very new to me. Very quickly you get taken over by pixel fever and I am now glad I started out small. I started with LOR and a couple of DC boards and a few strings of dumb RGB but have now changed to LSP and pixel mania has taken hold. I'm not saying not to go the LOR way.... there are many examples here of amazing displays produced with LOR, and it's one of several great options for this hobby... I'm just pointing out that after you have gotten your feet wet in year one, you may want to change direction in year two and don't want to be regretting that you have spent a lot of money on tons of gear that you have now outgrown.
If you could visit someone like superman and see all the stuff in the flesh and pick an experienced brain, you will learn heaps and super(man) fast.
I'd offer to show you my stuff but I'm a bit far away.

And small doesn't have to mean "unimpressive" - there are people that have done great things with a single controller running 16 strings.

You could use most of your existing lights to "frame" the centrepiece of a small display so that you get the chance to dip your toes, think about what you *really* want to do and save money for the main event......

Another option if you live on a corner is to run two shows - one small synchronised one and the rest of your lights around the corner.

Plenty of ways to make a cautious approach.....

Cheers!

dale82

Senior elf
Last Year was my first Year with Full Pixels, Previous to that I had LOR gear (240V) and I heavily invested in proper 240v lights, only to not using them and going all pixels. Superman will help you out and its always best to know your option before going all out.

mhthomas

New elf
Guys I just wanted to say a big thank you to all of you your advice and help offered is amazing you have really made me feel welcome