MAC xLights moved to App Store, xSchedule removed

Verb75

Apprentice elf
If you want to make that argument, I don't really see the difference between that and buying a pi to run FPP. Its also a totally different platform for one piece of software.
My point exactly...I just want to run the last available MAC version. I don't want to HAVE to buy anything.

Verb75

Apprentice elf
Leaving old versions up can be a real pain for developers. Even though it may say unsupported, people continue to ask. I can totally understand why old versions would not be available, especially for free software.
If that is the case...why are all the old Windows version of xLights available?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
But if you're running your show on your main PC every night doesn't that pose issues?
Hence why most people use a Pi or, like me, an old laptop they picked up cheap.
Or do you already have a spare old MAC you want to use as your show PC?

Verb75

Apprentice elf
But if you're running your show on your main PC every night doesn't that pose issues?
Hence why most people use a Pi or, like me, an old laptop they picked up cheap.
Or do you already have a spare old MAC you want to use as your show PC?
I have a spare MAC that I've been using for the past 3 years without any issues. The only issue I have now...is no xSchedule!

dkulp

Full time elf
Most of the pre-app store versions are available at https://dankulp.com/xlights/archive/ . Looking at the file sizes, 2020.12 likely was the last with xSchedule. No idea if it works with show folders created with newer versions of xLights. Strong strong recommendation is get a Pi and run FPP.

Nojoy

Full time elf
Highly likely this is not something the Devs had any say in. While Apple's App Store has very high quality standards, this comes with very strict guidelines for developers regarding allowing parallel downloads, including previous versions prior to App Store inclusion. Apple takes its reputation super seriously, and forces app developers to only provide access to the versions that meet the App Store guidelines.

Suspect the App Store guidelines may also be the reason xSchedule may not be packaged any more as well, as the functionality may not be approved by Apple.

Dreamin

Full time elf
I'm happy to use newer versions of xLights...but I'd still like to use xSchedule, and the ability to fire up the last known version. I see all the old version of Windows versions of xLights are on the main page...why can't the Mac versions?

From what I remember they just had issue after issue with Apple being able to run xschedule as their systems are heavily restricted in what you can actually do with them and the builds are created by volunteers they decided not to keep it going as it was becoming time consuming and nothing was working. I think at the moment Daniel Kulp is doing the mac side of things, and he's heavily involved in the FPP side of things as well. The app store is a much better way for them to release the mac version as it's all controlled by Apple and safe and secure. I think also all errors go back though apple too which is a bonus if your troubleshooting issues.

If you can afford a Apple Mac of any variety, you can afford a $50 RPi to run your whole show. It's not a major investment, about the same as 100 pixels so I think the platform isn't an issue.

Fact of the matter is, it's gone, it's not coming back. Time to move on.