Information Overload

BrianJ

Full time elf
Let me start by saying thanks to everyone for making me feel so welcome here. :D
I have been learning about animated lighting now for about a month and my head is just about ready to explode. [SIZE=small]I now have more questions than when I first began.[/SIZE]
Let me explain from the beginning. [SIZE=small]I decided to go to an animated show last Christmas and bought about 2000 bulbs (C6) on 70 light strings and 12 sets of 70 bulb [/SIZE][SIZE=small]incandescent[/SIZE] icicles. Last week I ordered 15 sets of LED icicles to use instead. I'm sure I will find another use for the incandescent icicles later.[SIZE=small] After researching for about a week I figured the easiest[/SIZE][SIZE=small] way into the hobby would be with a LOR starter kit and maybe a second controller for the first year. I than found a LOR controller used from a fellow Canadian on a different forum and have purchased that Somewhere in the first week i had the idea planted in my head that pixel lighting was much more expensive, difficult, and time consuming than LED strings and a controller. now with wanting to run at least 8 LED strings across the front of my house and finding the CCP vs Ray Wu thread the cost of going to pixels right of the bat looks not so bad. I don't mind using up my LED string lights other places.[/SIZE]
The problem is I know nothing about rgb/pixel lighting how they hook up, what other kit I need to make them work, and if I am going to pixels is LOR the right software to use? I guess the enviroment (LOR/DMX) is the first decision that I have to make in order to finalize my wish list. What do I really need if I want to start with 200 rgb pixels across the front of my house. If I use LOR software do I need the advanced version and the super star add on? What is a universe and how does it affect what I want to do now and in the future? etc etc etc. If I go to rgb/pixels than the 1 LOR controller that I have acquired will do for this year but I would like to have room on the pixel side for a few additional things.
I hope some members with more experience that have a little time to spare could tell me which way they would go if they were in my position and why. I am not afraid of putting in whatever time is needed and than some but I really want to get sorted so I can start getting ready, Christmas is less than 6 months away :)
Sorry for the long post but it is only a bit of what is bouncing around inside my head.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Brian,

I wouldn't mind capturing and responding to some of this in a mini mini session as run by Gig.

I bet it feels like the information super highway seems to end with a direct feed into your head.

Phil

BrianJ

Full time elf
Not sure what a mini mini session is but I'm in. just tell me when, where, and how and I'll make it work.
Thanks m8

I think for a couple days I am only going to research here and try to gain some perspective on all that I've read.
and yes that highway goes straight into my head than out the back

gigogig

gigogig
BrianJ said:
Not sure what a mini mini session is but I'm in. just tell me when, where, and how and I'll make it work.
Thanks m8

I think for a couple days I am only going to research here and try to gain some perspective on all that I've read.
and yes that highway goes straight into my head than out the back

thread to read for mini mini is http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,2278.15.html
one is less than 24 hours away and its a great place to talk with other people about lighting.