INK 1003 12v or 5v

Boof63

Senior elf
HI, Have two questions please:
1. have ordered INK1003 for matrix, 20 strips x 75 pixels= 20 x 2.5 metre strips.
Have read that INk1003 only runs at 12v for metre lengths only ie 1m or 2m or 3m etc.
That other measurements are 5v if cut ie my 2.5metre should be run at 5v.
Have asked 'Ray' for clarification and he has said can still run 2.5metre lengths at 12v.
Can anyone else confirm 'Ray's' comment please.
2. if I am stuck with this order and can only run at 5V, what would be best controller option, J1sys p12R, SanDevice E682 or other choice please
Thanks for all your help in advance
Boof63 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :(

PS Alternate Strip choices for the above matrix would be helpful as well please, prefer 12v if possible. Thanks
PPS thanks to AussieDoug for 1st reply, this prompted the edit ,cheers

AussieDoug

Full time elf
You have a couple of options with the INK1003 strip.
The 12-5v convertor on the back will only run a maximum of 31 pixels. So cutting it at 2.5m lengths, you will need to get extra convertors to put on yourself or get ray to make the desired length with 3 convertors.
Personally I would look at getting Ray to make the 2.5m lengths with 3 convertors.

Or you could just run them on 5v and cut them anywhere you like. Bit of expensive way to do it when you can just buy 5v strip instead for just on half the price.

The only INK1003 strips that can be cut at 2.5m lengths are the 60 pixels/m.

Have you looked at the PixLite4 of PixLite16 from Advatek lights?

arw01

Full time elf
Boof63 said:
HI, Have two questions please:
1. have ordered INK1003 for matrix, 20 strips x 75 pixels= 20 x 2.5 metre strips.
Have read that INk1003 only runs at 12v for metre lengths only ie 1m or 2m or 3m etc.
That other measurements are 5v if cut ie my 2.5metre should be run at 5v.
Have asked 'Ray' for clarification and he has said can still run 2.5metre lengths at 12v.
Can anyone else confirm 'Ray's' comment please.
2. if I am stuck with this order and can only run at 5V, what would be best controller option, J1sys p12R, SanDevice E682 or other choice please
Thanks for all your help in advance
Boof63 :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :(

PS Alternate Strip choices for the above matrix would be helpful as well please, prefer 12v if possible. Thanks
PPS thanks to AussieDoug for 1st reply, this prompted the edit ,cheers

I cut my 30m 12v at 1/2 meter and just ran wires to connect one segment the last segment. You could do it that way too for power and bring the data line from whichever spot you want, either from the end of the last one or start new from a new feed out a new channel of the controller you are using.

Ray could not (the manufacturer told him no) on getting extra converters for my order. I found you need converter section to back feed the 5v portion of the meter, they don't seem to go the other way. I don't see any reason you could not buy the 12v version and just feed the 5v on your own either from a separate power supply entirely.

Boof63

Senior elf
Thanks arw01, I was planning on running it as follows:
pwr+data (01) ----------------------------------
(02) ----------------------------------
(03) -----------------------------------

And then using Habbosuarus's splitters to inject pwr to each line as well as data , as well as connecting each end with pigtails to keep circuit running for 150 pixels.
Any flaws??
Cheers Boof63

Boof63

Senior elf
OK , Arw01 said he just connected the two cut ends using cable and ran them at 12 v. If thats the case then the pigtails ray has fitted will do the same thing but easier (i Hope)!!
Question on controller assume i am running at 12 v then-
choice 1 - E682 Approx $209au : - multicast 7 universes = $29.85/univ. , unicast 12 universes = $17.41/univ
Choice 2 – Pixlite 4 Approx $150au at 16 universes, $9.38 (not $18.75) /universe Multicast or unicast]
Choice 3 - P12R Approx $220au at 12 universe = $18.33/univ. (not sure if Multi or unicast)

Your thoughts again everyone please, sorry to dump this, but you all have more experience on this than me.
Thanks again
Boof63 :-\ :-\

arw01

Full time elf
can the E682 listen to that many universes? I've not figured that part out yet.

Also the ink1003 12v has 4 pads, gnd, data, 12v, 5v.

Boof63

Senior elf
Yes 'AD', your maths is correct not sure how I pulled out that figure for the pixlite4- Duh!
thanks boof63