Interesting info about the $6 3ch DMX controller

dmoore

Senior elf
Some may have followed my mass deployment of the $6 DMX controllers. I started looking a little closer and two things popped out - one is that there is a WS2801 chip on there - why would there be one in there? Second is that it uses a Texas Instruments RS485 chip, not some cheap Chinese knock off.

Attached is a datasheet for the TI 485 chip and so photos.

Here is a video of 46 of them on a 250ft cable with 90 splices:
Cheap DMX Adapters Mass Testing

Attachments

• datasheet.pdf
    397.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0267.png
    IMG_0267.png
    505 KB · Views: 85

riri7707

Full time elf
Great Video and original frames...

I like this kind of inventive solutions....

Technology is here, so no limits... Maybe our bullet as usual :D

ron

Apprentice elf
Nice video David. I want to now what was burning in on the bench to the left though. Was that a coroflake or two?

Ron

jeffrae

Apprentice elf
David how do you change the dmx address of the $6 controller. I want to buy twenty controller will they all be channel one.

Regards Jeff Rae

chrisl1976

Apprentice elf
jeffrae said:
David how do you change the dmx address of the $6 controller. I want to buy twenty controller will they all be channel one.

Regards Jeff Rae

Just a note...you can have Ray set the addresses when you order them so you dont have to buy the editor....I only have like a dozen so that is what I did. If you are getting a bunch of them, I'd probably buy the editor.

dmoore

Senior elf
The link above is correct for the editor. Of course these $6 DMX controllers are like pringles - you can't just buy 12!

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
and of course somewhere down my to-do list is to add programming the start address for these devices as a web page option in the ECG .....

I bought several of the controllers and one of the programmers so I can figure it out.

-Ed

hbomb341

New elf
j1sys said:
and of course somewhere down my to-do list is to add programming the start address for these devices as a web page option in the ECG .....

I bought several of the controllers and one of the programmers so I can figure it out.

-Ed

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with David - i purchased a few hundred total plan on using about a hundred.

Harrison

chrisl1976

Apprentice elf
j1sys said:

-Ed

That is awesome!!!

dmoore

Senior elf
j1sys said:

-Ed

That sounds exciting! I love these little boxes for de-centralized control, it's hard to imagine that the DIY community could even produce them for personal consumption at the price that they are sold (with the wires and mounting box).