Interesting issue with ECG-p12r

mick8248

Full time elf
Have discovered an interesting problem when running an ecg-p12r in my setup. My garage door remote's appear to have their signal blocked and cannot open or close the door, whilst the ecg-p12r is turned on, this only occurs when I have lights connected, if lights are disconnected all works fine. Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I had similar issues last year with my display but not with the ECG units a friends car central locking and alram wouldnt work until i turned off the display, it appears that the lights can generate some RFI in certain circumstances, I wonder if there are any others that have experinced this as well.

mick8248

Full time elf
Ed, maybe it is the lights themselves as you suggest, the only pixel controllers I have are ecg-p12r's so none others to try, might try hooking them up to an arduino and see if I get the same results.

mick8248

Full time elf
Just tried some LPD6803 strings with no issues at all, but soon as I connect up any WS2801 strings, strips or modules the problem with the door control returns.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Re: Interesting issue with WS2801 radiated RF noise

Mick

Got a test for you to run.

In the ECG-P12R go and change the data rate from the default 750k to 1000k or over 1500k and see if the problem remains, you could also go the other way as well down to 500k.

Running the pixels at different data rates should make a difference.

Cheers
Phil

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
had just seen the messages and was coming back in to give the same suggestion.

the bare wire pixel protocols should act like long antennas and will radiate. that is the manner of the beast. the chips themselves could radiate or generate different frequencies also, but it could be directly related to the transmit frequency. even the data pattern could effect it. The difference between the two protocols would cause a different pattern at different frequencies.

so, as phil suggests, try very different frequencies. some lower, some higher. i would also suggest getting away from the 250/500/750/1000 steps and move to 666, 777, 888 etc. just trying to move the fundamental frequency.

-ed

mick8248

Full time elf
Thx for the replies, so after some experimentation I got the following results:-

Baud rates under 1000 kbps allowed 1 door to work, no matter what rates I tried the other 1 won't.

Even with the remote right next to the receiver they won't operate.

Patterns made no difference as the issue exists with power on and no connection to the network.

David, I was also wondering if power supply had anything to do with the problem, so tried from a 12 volt battery with same results.

Might just have to live with the problem (I suppose it's only for a few hours a night for a month or so) as most of the pixels I have brought so far are WS2801 based, just wondering what it might be like when I have a thousand plus pixels running, at the moment I've only tested with a few strings.

zeph

New elf
Does the ECG keep the pixel clock going even when it's not sending out data?

angus40

Senior elf
is the door the will not open on the same circut as any of your lights /power supplies ?

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
Zeph -
The P12R is doing continuous refresh. we've considered only sending once or twice since the last update. but currently continuously repeat the in memory buffer 'x' times per second. kind of the dmx philosopy of tell it again and again and again.

-Ed

mick8248

Full time elf
Angus, both doors are on the same circuit, have tried with a 12V battery and still get the same issue. If the issue becomes more wide spread, does anyone know of a way of suppressing the RF that is being generated?