Intermittent display issue in Matrix

Ktag

Apprentice elf
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction to source a solution. I am getting an intermittent issue within one my matrix on ports (620 pixel strand out of the total 1860 pixel matrix). It appears the data signal drops out at odd points throughout the strand (for the rest of the strand), resulting in lights staying on or off or just multicoloured. But then the data signal will get through and all is good for another short period of time (30-40 seconds).

I have replaced the initial offending (or so I thought) pixels, only to find it occurred elsewhere, replaced again with a new string for that portion, only to have it occur again. I have had no issues with any of my other pixels (batch of 5000). Do I keep replacing pixels at each point it appears to have intermittent data connection... OR is there something else that could be wrong?

Any ideas would be great, thanks in advance.
Glenn

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Hi Glenn,

Sounds like it could be bad power -- Check your power, and grounds. You may need to do do some PI, either at the end of the string, or near where the issues start - the closest join if you have it socketed should be fine. - This would just be another run back to the PSU / start of the string.

Ktag

Apprentice elf
Running 5v, with power injection at the ends, just like strand 2 and strand 3 (the mid and top thirds of the matrix, which are having no problems).

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
And you're starting bottom right I take it?
Certainly looks more like a dead pixel / dodgy data rather than power related corruption.

Have you replaced the pixel before the first ever data corruption occurs?
i.e. - if the first pixel that you've ever seen corruption is say #84, change #83.
It could be spitting out crap which causes issues down the line. Not necessarily directly after too, it could say cause problems with pixel 120 for example.

Ktag

Apprentice elf
Yes Replaced pixel before and after on each occasion but still happening further down again I agree it does seem to be pixel related just wanted some other ideas before replacing further pixels. Also it starts at bottom left as you look at it

Last edited:

Ktag

Apprentice elf
Without any other ideas, my next step will be to start replacing full 50 pixel sections as I didn't solder these just used the connectors attached to each length of string. I will see how that goes... annoyingly it has been fine for the last couple of months during testing.

TerryK

Retired Elf
Running 5v, with power injection at the ends, just like strand 2 and strand 3 (the mid and top thirds of the matrix, which are having no problems).
To clarify: power injection at the beginning and end of each 50 pixel string within the 620 pixel strand or just at the beginning and end of a 620 pixel strand?

Something that would help to determine if it is power related is; for a particular sequence note where the display goes bonkers, reduce intensity by half, and replay the same sequence. Does the display exhibit problems at the same points in the sequence? The same, fewer, none?

Connectors will add a small amount of voltage drop even though it adds effort required for maintenance. Removal of the connector to pixel wire length (generally about 6 inch) will help also. A 620 pixel strand constructed with 50 pixel strings; 12 connectors give or take?

Adsy

Full time elf
A couple other small thoughts regarding data.
Perhaps checking the connection at the port of the offending strand or possibly try using another port all together if you have any available? Also have you changed any settings in the layout tab of x lights recently which may or may not affect sequence playback If it is not rendered again?
BTW previous post I was meaning individual string not strand😀

Ktag

Apprentice elf
All

Power injection all down right side, ie. at 62, 186, 310, 434, 558 run at 30%. No issues with other strands with same construction.
Intermittent occurrences - not at same time in sequence, not necessarily occurring at all in a sequence.
I have tried swapping top and bottom ports and swapping cables (both the 3 core and the 2 core power injection cables) to matrix with exact same result, thus narrowed down to a fault at the matrix.

I am not sure it is power related just yet so will try to swap out strings and see if this fixes it then look down a power issue path.

I was trying to avoid swapping out more pixels as it requires pulling the matrix down so was hoping someone had a definitive alternate solution.

thanks all for your advice, I will update when I have tried swapping out more pixels.

Ktag

Apprentice elf
HELP!

Having so many problems with not only my matrix but other props as well, including my PPD Wreath. Have swapped out more than 30 pixels, with no let up in site. Is it a BAD batch of pixels or is there something sinister underneath!!!

At this rate I won't have a Halloween show which would be a nightmare (no pun intended) based on the amount of work I have put in.

- swapped out cables; reviewed all power injection wiring; disconnected power injection; swapped ports; checked voltages (from controller & at prop)(have used 14 guage wiring); added in Null buffers near controller, just in case (note PPD wreath is less than 2 metres from differential receiver).

I think it is the pixels, but when do I stop having to splice in replacement pixels (from the same batch). Is this possible?

All these pixels were bought earlier this year - 5000 x 5v. I haven't had any issues with last year's pixels... both 12v and 5v.

Thoughts on what I could try next... or do I just keep replacing pixels! Note: I've sent an email to Tom Zheng