1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

is my config correct

Discussion in 'Mega, Mini, Spiral & Pixel Trees' started by billru, Jan 12, 2019 at 10:47 AM.

1. billru

billru New Elf

Hello, I am in the process of building a mega tree as I am still learning the hobby,
    I would like some input if I am setting this up right, I am doing a 24 string tree with 12v pixels/50 nodes per string,
    my controller is a F16v3, I am using xlights.

My math at this is: I am using 24 strands of 12v/50 nodes = 1200 nodes, I can use 340 nodes per port ( it would be 2 universes)
    ( the math is 510 nodes /divided by 3 (RGB) = 170 \ each port can have 1024 nodes, 1024 nodes divided by 170 nodes = 6.23
    Round it off to 6, I can put 6 stings on one port)
    I plan on power injection every second string (every 100 nodes)

Is this the correct set up in xlights base on my calculation from above
    #String 6
    Node/string 300
    Strand/string 12

Please advise if I am learning this right, any critic good or bad is welcome as I am trying to learn this hobby
    also I do have plans for the rest of the ports on the F16v3 but I am trying to understand the mega tree setup first
    As for my complete plan it is 1 mega tree, roof line, 4 arches, 4 mini pixel trees and 10 snow flakes,
    thank you all for the help

Dez likes this.
  2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I might be wrong about how to layout the tree correctly but I think 12, 50, 2 will give you the right numbers and appearance.

3. OP
    OP
    billru

billru New Elf

Hello AAH, thank you for the reply
    After lookig at your reply I figured out how to look at the node layout in xlights and it was wrong, it was showing 1800 nodes
    and I am using 1200 ( 24 strings with 50 nodes = 1200 nodes).
    I played around with my math and I belive you are right I am thinking it should be
    #String 2 (number or strings tied together for one port )

Node/string 600 (total of one connection or one zig zag)

Strand/string 12 (number zig zags)

4. R Weiland

R Weiland New Elf

Just keep in mind that by running 600 nodes off a single port if you get a node failure depending where its at you could loose all the following nodes or half your tree at the worst.

5. keithsw1111

keithsw1111 Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Most node failures don’t happen like that ... you just lose a colour ... and they are not common either.

6. OP
    OP
    billru

billru New Elf

Thank you all for the advise, I am studying the information you offered and trying it on paper and xlights, again you help was really appreciated thank you