J1Sys PPx solution wiring questions - connecting the P12x>PPD-C>PPR-A>PPI

shiner

New elf
Hello,
I received my j1sys products, but am unclear on exactly how to connect the chain of devices. In principle, I understand what the solution is designed to do with respect to gateway>transport over cat5>receiver>pixel+power injector if needed. Prior to coming to the forum to ask the questions, I checked the documentation sent with the product :-\ , and the J1Sys Support Documentation page. In chat, Dave (lithgowlights) pointed me to FE's guide for the J1Sys Solution, but my specific questions were not answered.

I have one P12x gateway, three PPD-C 4 output transmitters, and twelve PPR-A receivers.

My plan is to put a PPR-A receiver at each pixel element in my display. Each has a fairly low node count, but some exceed the 25 limit of the PPR and will require the PPI power injector.

1) Is there a guide or rule used to calculate the needed power supply size for the system? In my case, I am using this solution to power 6803 nodes (5v) from Ray. At this time, I do not have a high number of them, but use them to outline the windows in my display. I have read that 36v is the recommendation here, but I am unsure how to size this based on the nodes in the display. The PPR down converts the (7v-40v) power to 5v 1.5a output to the pixel.

2) The P12x wires via 4-conductor wire over to the PPD-C. The inputs here would be 1-to-1 (I have 3 PPD-C units). No real question here, just confirming my understanding of the system wiring.

3) Cat5e or Cat6 would be used between the PPD-C and the PPR-A. The documentation I read suggests better distance performance out of the cat6. I am planning runs of less than 50ft, so is there a benefit to upping the cable to Cat6 or is that only needed at the 300+ft range?

4) Wiring out of the PPR is now a mystery. I understand I can use the 5v out to power the first 25 pixel nodes. The confusion comes from the undocumented phoenix connector stack - there are two 4-pin phoenix connectors here, so what do they do? As shipped, the top connector has a jumper inserted between pins 3 and 4. How are these two different phoenix connectors intended to be used/wired?

5) When using the PPI to power the second set of 25 pixels, what feeds the input side of the PPI? I theorize that you are expected to take v+ and v- out of the top connector of the PPR and cable that into the PPI. You then splice into the pixel strand for the 4 remaining terminals. The board then boosts the voltage back up to the needed 5v 1.5a power feed. Is this correct?

6) Should I be concerned with heat dissipation and the PPR? I have constructed a 1 1/4" wide PVC tube with caps on both ends. The Cat5e enters one end, and Ray's 4-pin waterproof screw on connector exits the other end. I plan to caulk or hot glue my PVC connections/openings to seal them. As the regulator converts the voltage, my expectation is that there will be heat exchanged in the process and I am unsure if this seemingly sealed enclosure is going to be harmful. The device would be outside, and it is cold here, so will the passive heat sink of the PVC be enough. I imagine it would, but I figure I would ask so as not to smoke these little devices.

Thank you in advance!

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
not really answers to chris's questions but the reference information some people are looking for:

Attached are the schematics. PPD-C and PPI-A are fairly simple. Signal/power in/out.

The PPR-A is a little trickier because it was designed to be used in several different ways.

RJ1 is the input via a PPX cable as described in the PPX documents.

P1 is a 2 x 1 x 4 3.5mm connector.

The top row of P1 is pins 1-4 and is used to jumper the incoming voltage over to the power control block or the 5V from the power control block to the pixel power lead. It has a ground (pin 1), the PXX voltage (pin 2), a connection to the board +5vdc bus (pin 3), and the connection to the pixel power output (pin 4). In simple mode, as shipped, a jumper from pin 3 to pin 4 places the board 5v supply on the pixel output power. but you can use it in other ways. If you have an external supply you can use it to inject power into the board. If you want to use a higher power external 5v dc-dc converter you can connect it to use the gnd, PPX+V for inputs and output the 5V on 5V and pixel output. If you want to use a different voltage (12v) then you can use gnd, PPX+V, and the pixel output.

The bottom row of P1 is pins 5-8 and uses our standard ground,clock,data,power pinout.

P2 determines the use of the optional onboard regulator and interconnection of the 5VDC supply. In its usual mode, as shipped, we take the PPX+V and input it to the regulator, the 5vdc output is then connected to the board 5vdc bus. This is done with jumpers on pin 2/3 and pin 4/5. If the PPX is higher than 36V the user could use an external dc-dc converter on P1 to get the pixel power down to 12V or 24v or something and then input the pixel power (pin 1) into the regulator (pin 3).

Sorry if this is confusing. It is because there are several different ways that it can be used and even some other custom configurations such as an external power supply local to the pixels that need to be taken into account. If you have a specific combination that you need please describe it and I will give you the suggested jumpering and connections.

-Ed

Attachments

• PPD-C.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 47
  • PPR-A.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 51
  • PPI-A.pdf
    18.4 KB · Views: 27

shiner

New elf
I was able to catch up with Ed (j1sys) in Chat and found some answers to a few of my questions.
chris_backus said:
1) Is there a guide or rule used to calculate the needed power supply size for the system? In my case, I am using this solution to power 6803 nodes (5v) from Ray. At this time, I do not have a high number of them, but use them to outline the windows in my display. I have read that 36v is the recommendation here, but I am unsure how to size this based on the nodes in the display. The PPR down converts the (7v-40v) power to 5v 1.5a output to the pixel.
-Ed suggested 24v (1A) per output. I would prefer to keep it simple and use one supply for feed the solution, so in this case, Ed agreed that a 24v (12A) supply would work. He indicated that the power is regulated in the solution, so the quality of the supply isnt overly critical. I am going to play it safe here and go with quality.
chris_backus said:
4) Wiring out of the PPR is now a mystery. I understand I can use the 5v out to power the first 25 pixel nodes. The confusion comes from the undocumented phoenix connector stack - there are two 4-pin phoenix connectors here, so what do they do? As shipped, the top connector has a jumper inserted between pins 3 and 4. How are these two different phoenix connectors intended to be used/wired?
-Ed provided the diagrams and text above on the subject. I found the text easier to understand than the drawings, but some guys will get what they need from the drawings. THANK YOU ED!
chris_backus said:
5) When using the PPI to power the second set of 25 pixels, what feeds the input side of the PPI? I theorize that you are expected to take v+ and v- out of the top connector of the PPR and cable that into the PPI. You then splice into the pixel strand for the 4 remaining terminals. The board then boosts the voltage back up to the needed 5v 1.5a power feed. Is this correct?
-Ed explained that my theory on this is correct. As shipped, the expectation is that pins1 and 2 from the upper phoenix will provide the output voltage I need to supply the PPI. If you want to get fancy, you can also use the upper phoenix to inject new voltage from a local supply to either beef up the amps or change the output voltage to the pixels. Highly flexible solution, but by default, it will power my PPI in the shipped configuration.
chris_backus said:
6) Should I be concerned with heat dissipation and the PPR? I have constructed a 1 1/4" wide PVC tube with caps on both ends. The Cat5e enters one end, and Ray's 4-pin waterproof screw on connector exits the other end. I plan to caulk or hot glue my PVC connections/openings to seal them. As the regulator converts the voltage, my expectation is that there will be heat exchanged in the process and I am unsure if this seemingly sealed enclosure is going to be harmful. The device would be outside, and it is cold here, so will the passive heat sink of the PVC be enough. I imagine it would, but I figure I would ask so as not to smoke these little devices.
-Ed indicated that the dc dc regulator is quite efficient and should not get very hot. In the states, the cool ambient temps should make this a decent solution, but it may not be suited for the warm Aussie Christmas.

shiner

New elf
Sadly, I think I hurt a PPD-c board tonight. I have attached photos with descriptions to see if anyone can see an obvious error in my wiring and setup.
12v supply feeding the P12x > feeding the PPD-c > feeding the PPR > feeding the nodes.
smoke was seen exiting the PPD. My guess is the dc dc regulator. The caps still look good, but I am unsure what to test and I dont want to simply plug another in to see if the first was just faulty.

I disconnected the PPD, and then measured the voltage out of the supply and registered 12.28v, and then I checked the same on the P13 terminal and registered the same. Finally I measured the voltage that was at the PPD phoenix and that registered 12.26v

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• PPxSmoke.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 42

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
j1sys said:
The top row of P1 is pins 1-4 and is used to jumper the incoming voltage over to the power control block or the 5V from the power control block to the pixel power lead. It has a ground (pin 1), the PXX voltage (pin 2), a connection to the board +5vdc bus (pin 3), and the connection to the pixel power output (pin 4). In simple mode, as shipped, a jumper from pin 3 to pin 4 places the board 5v supply on the pixel output power. but you can use it in other ways. If you have an external supply you can use it to inject power into the board. If you want to use a higher power external 5v dc-dc converter you can connect it to use the gnd, PPX+V for inputs and output the 5V on 5V and pixel output. If you want to use a different voltage (12v) then you can use gnd, PPX+V, and the pixel output.

The bottom row of P1 is pins 5-8 and uses our standard ground,clock,data,power pinout.

P2 determines the use of the optional onboard regulator and interconnection of the 5VDC supply. In its usual mode, as shipped, we take the PPX+V and input it to the regulator, the 5vdc output is then connected to the board 5vdc bus. This is done with jumpers on pin 2/3 and pin 4/5. If the PPX is higher than 36V the user could use an external dc-dc converter on P1 to get the pixel power down to 12V or 24v or something and then input the pixel power (pin 1) into the regulator (pin 3).

Sorry if this is confusing. It is because there are several different ways that it can be used and even some other custom configurations such as an external power supply local to the pixels that need to be taken into account. If you have a specific combination that you need please describe it and I will give you the suggested jumpering and connections.

-Ed

Umm yeah...is a little confusing! Is there a complete pinout listing somewhere?

I want to feed mine via 48VDC, with 12VDC to pixels via an external regulator I already have. How would this connect up?