J1SYS Product Matrix - Easy Reference for Controller Selection

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have put together a product reference sheet that shows all the controllers that will be available form J1SYS, this should hopefully help people understand the product range and the choices available.

Please refer any question to the threads instead of mailing Ed as he is currently very busy getting products out to the masses

Attachments

• J1SYS_Product_Matrix_24_01_13.pdf
    420.4 KB · Views: 1,142

BrianJ

Full time elf
Very nice list Eddy, Thanks for making it easier to understand.

I do have a couple of questions about the products in general.
Can I run a j1sys pixel controller and/or an E131to DMX converter from my home lan or does it require a separate network?
Do they come with pigtails and connectors for attaching power/pixels to the board? If not is there a link or website that sells them?
Is there a list of recommended enclosures for each board, and a link for a good place to purchase them?
Any idea when the ECG-D2 will be available?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BrianJ said:
Very nice list Eddy, Thanks for making it easier to understand.

I do have a couple of questions about the products in general.
Can I run a j1sys pixel controller and/or an E131to DMX converter from my home lan or does it require a separate network?

Yes all the ECG series can be run from a home network. For me i actually just used a seperate network card so i can seperate my home network from my E1.31 network. this also helps with security.

BrianJ said:
Do they come with pigtails and connectors for attaching power/pixels to the board? If not is there a link or website that sells them?

The boards come with screw in terminals so you can add whatever pigtails you wish. For me i just add a 3 pin or 4 pin plug that Ray sells.

BrianJ said:
Is there a list of recommended enclosures for each board, and a link for a good place to purchase them?
Any idea when the ECG-D2 will be available?

Most of the new controllers will have an optional enclosure at an extra cost. You will be able to select the enclosure option when the ordering pages are up for the new products just like you can order a ECG-DR4 with an enclosure or not.
The P12R and PIXAD8 do not have enclosures available and these can be put into anything that will suit.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Brian

I can answer some if not all.

All controllers are supplied with plugs that you then connect to your "pigtail". some people will connect the strings direct, others will make extension cables either from 4 wire cable or Cat 5, so Ed only supplies the plugs.

All of Ed's boards can be purchased with a case, this is not weatherproof though, enclosures vary between countries and in north america the common CG-xxxx series will server you well, us Aussies need to be more inventive as the CG series is not available at sensible pricing.

As for a physical in your hand date for the ECG-D2, only Ed could estimate based on current status of production in china but my guess will be that these are 3-4 weeks away despite all Ed's efforts to meet his optimistic July 1 deadline he imposed on himself.

You can run on your home LAN as long as that LAN is 100Mb backbone or better, HOWEVER, for security reasons you should make and effort to physically seperate your show physically wiring from your home LAN.
Cheers
Phil

jonnyci

New elf
AussiePhil said:
You can run on your home LAN as long as that LAN is 100Mb backbone or better, HOWEVER, for security reasons you should make and effort to physically seperate your show physically wiring from your home LAN.
Cheers
Phil

Can I ask where and why there would be a security issue on your LAN?

Jon

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
jonnyci said:
AussiePhil said:
Cheers
Phil

Can I ask where and why there would be a security issue on your LAN?

Jon

Of course you can.

Remember that to transport e131 we run a network cable from a switch out to a controller in the yard.
Now if your show network is then connected to or part of your home network you have just physically placed a network connection point out in your yard.
The risk is that someone could unplug the controller and plug a laptop or similar in and get access to your home network.
Bit like having unsecured wireless access point.

or to put it another way
Would you by choice plug a blue cable into your home network and just leave the other end in the yard for people to plug into?

Phil

anon

Apprentice elf
It's only looking at that that I realise there are so many products...I guess I knew them individually, but as a group it shows there is one for every occasion!

On security I think using your home network is fine if you need to, MAC filtering would be good enough to stop a kiddie with a laptop who is game enough to trespass. Instead they'll go down the road and use your neighbors unsecured wifi with relative anonymity. Point being that something should be done...

But from a reliability point of view I'll be running another network purely due to the number of times a month I need to restart my Bigpond router....

jonnyci

New elf
thanks Phil, makes sense. I live in Chicago, so it is a bit chilly for someone to sit in the yard and physically hook up. As anon stated, they would be more inclined to find an unsecured wireless network somewhere in the hood.

j1sys

There are no rules, and those are the rules.
Community project designer
ECG-D2, ECG-P2, DCG-P2 are expected to be completed and shipped to us from our assembler early this week. We HOPE to receive by Thursday. Testing immediately and IF NO MAJOR PROBLEMS they should be ready for shipment early next week.

Nothing in stone. All hopes and expectations based on information from the assembler last Friday. But we have not yet received an 'all done and shipped' message. We are waiting anxiously.

ECG-D4, ECG-P12R, ECG-PIXAD8 shipping to customers. uDCG-P2 shipping starting today.

-Ed