Just starting up

Porsche

Full time elf
Gday guys, been talking with a few of the members today. Im wanting to build a christmas lights show.
Ive been looking at the LOR products and one of the members here mentioned that I may be able to purchase the controllers here in aust that are compatible with our types of lighting.
I have mainly LED strings, icicles, ropes etc. but everything is now LED.
any suggestions as to what controllers and software would be the most compatible??
Thanks
Phil

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome55.gif

Porsche

Full time elf
Hi David, Im not sure if you recieved my message. im still learning my way around the site.
Thank you for the info
what software is best to use with the DC48 controller?
If later on I wanted to change my current lights to RGB strip/string lights, would this controller be compatible?
thanks
Phil

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Hi Porche David's DC 48 and DC 24 controllers are good for LED strings and RGB strings and strips. Usually you try to have a common voltage . 24VDC and 12VDc are the most common for these.

For software there are a few choices but the most common ones are

Vixen - free download but limited functionality. Not a bad way to start
LightShow Pro - probably the most commonly used SW her will cost you $200 to $300 depending on version
Lightorama SW - used also by a lot of people here

Porsche

Full time elf
thats great cheers.
I downloaded the LOR S3 software and found it pretty simple to use.
is there a big difference between the S3 LOR software and the Lightshow Pro?
Cheers
Phil

tuppetsdad

Funding & Tech Support
Give the LOR SW a go if you like it as no reason now for you to pay the money for LSP. You will find people such as AAH are experts in LOR .

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Porsche said:
thats great cheers.
I downloaded the LOR S3 software and found it pretty simple to use.
is there a big difference between the S3 LOR software and the Lightshow Pro?
Cheers
Phil

LSP has far more advanced features than what LOR has and is superior when dealing with large RGB shows. LOR is a strong stable program that is fairly easy to get into.

The choice really goes down to what you see yourself doing in the future and just not now, if you plan over the next 2 years to start going big with pixels then LSP may be the better choice as this will enable you to start slow with low channels and then as you learn and become more confident you can take on more.
LOR will enable you to get into sequencing faster and be less confusing at first but if you plan on going big in the fututre with RGB pixels then LOR may not be the best fit because whats the use of learning one software package when you may switch to another later if you go bigger.